Mud flaps with velcro

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Hi BCF, I have not tried them out yet, it snowed in the Peak District this weekend and there is salt on the all the local roads. Looks like it is all getting washed away now and we have a balmy 6 degrees forecast for this weekend. So I can update you then. Cheers, Julie

They won't stay on long I fear.   Darve tried the Velcro method and only a few laps of the track and one fell off.

Thanks for that Smug, er I mean Scott  :). The mud flaps have had their first outing today, in heavy rain (roof on), on fast country roads, cattle grids and with some reversing too.

Well, they made it home in one piece with the added bonus that I didn't get the occasional squirt of water in the face. I lost the 'cow poo' competition though because they stopped a lot of dirt hitting the stone guards. 

At the moment they are a success, time will tell as to their longevity, they could well be sat on the garage floor in the morning.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

2 months on from the first outing and the mud flaps have been out on lots of wet roads and the glue is starting to fail. Plan B is to secure them with black plastic number plate nuts and bolts before they fall off and I lose them.

Plan B is to secure them with black plastic number plate nuts and bolts before they fall off and I lose them.

Plan C:  bond/resin in some big head fasteners then you wont need to drill though and they wont be seen  :t-up:

It's a difficult balance between having them fixed securely enough so as they dont fall off and allowing them to be pulled off in extreme circumstances without ripping the cycle wing off with them at the same time.

You could try bonding a thin piece of alloy to the wing (with Silkaflex / Tiger Seal) and then sticking the velcro backing to the alloy  - being smoother than the rough fibreglass, you should get a better level of adhesion and less likely to get water behind the adhesive and of course the velcro still allows the mud flaps to part if it needs to (I don't think fixing the velcro backing directly with sealant adhesive would work that well and would be very messy to replace). 

No messing about then Glen, I turn around and he has put them on. The theory being that the plastic bolts will keep them in place, but should something happen they will be weak enough to break before the cycle wing does. With a winter like this my miles are racking up and I will soon be able to report back to you on their effectiveness.

MUD%20FLAPS%202016_zpspgrxsxmc.jpg