Cycle arch mud flaps?

GRBBONGO

Just fitted these to my westy as I have first mot tomorrow and obviously keen to get out and enjoy the Westfield experience. Thought these would help keep it a little cleaner in damp conditions. They were a set of Astra ones I had knocking about the garage. What do we think?image_zpsmeslcwbm.jpeg

• Like 1

Be careful when reversing, the flap can get pushed onto the tyre if you go over a bump and it could get messy quickly, might be worth using plastic bolts that will shear easily just in case,

Good idea GRBBongo. My car is a cow poo magnet and I am just putting some mudflaps on for the same reasons as you.

I have picked up the heavy duty Velcro parcel from the Post Office today. I am going for a temporary solution and using velcro to put them on with. I might remove them in the summer. Also if they want to inadvertently come off I am hoping it will leave my cycle wing in tact.

Yours look really smart, good luck with the MOT, let us know how you get on.

Julie

Julie that sounds like a good idea.

Would you mind posting details of how you are doing it and how successful it is? Or unsuccessful !!

I like the idea of Velcro to prevent damaging the cycle wings.

I assume you mean self adhesive Velcro Julie?

I dont think it will work in the application you are proposing.

Think about it this way, when your running at speed in the rain your tyres are sending water backwards with the force of a pressure washer, i think the Velcro will soon get blasted off, then there is the air pressure as well, if you've ever driven alongside a Westy with front mudflaps on you will see them bending backwards.

I have them on mine but I used mechanical fixings.

I'm happy to be proved wrong though ;)

Self Adhesive industrial Velcro worked well on mine over winter/spring until a trip to Le Mans when the adhesive melted in the heat. Probably would have been ok if I took them off for the summer.

• Like 1

Be careful when reversing, the flap can get pushed onto the tyre if you go over a bump and it could get messy quickly, might be worth using plastic bolts that will shear easily just in case,

Parking with one side of the car on a raised kerb, then reversing off used to be the one that got people with mud flaps; I know a few owners that broke cycle wings like that.

They make a huge difference to the amount of debris coming off sticky tyres though, and yes far less flying cow poo once they're fitted.

Not wanting to hijack GBRBongo's post I will do a separate post on mine when I have fitted them and tested them.

The rubber flaps are sat here on the sideboard, glue drying at the moment.

I spend my life avoiding cow poo and now I need to go and find some. I bet all the cows in the Peak District will get constipation now I have said that.

• Like 1

Made some out of 3mm Kaylan that seem to be pretty effective and the only time I have to be particularly careful is at the MOT brake test as it the front wheels drop into the rollers. They can drag on kerbs etc but being as flexible as they are, no problems so far.

The OP ones look tidy.

Although they do reduce the amount thrown up, there is still enough crap which manages to dodge the flaps and end up on the rear arches :(

2015-08-09+17_10_57.jpg

2015-08-09+17_11_31.jpg

I too have strong doubts at using velcro for keeping them on, knowing how much they bend when driving. But it's got to be worth a try, worst case, you'll have to fix them with some screws ;)

I am just putting some mudflaps on for the same reason

Julie

eeek... you will be using the doors next..then maybe a sorn..... ducks and runs :p

I assume you mean self adhesive Velcro Julie?

I dont think it will work in the application you are proposing.

Think about it this way, when your running at speed in the rain your tyres are sending water backwards with the force of a pressure washer, i think the Velcro will soon get blasted off, then there is the air pressure as well, if you've ever driven alongside a Westy with front mudflaps on you will see them bending backwards.

I have them on mine but I used mechanical fixings.

I'm happy to be proved wrong though ;)

Don't worry Paul, Julie's testosterone free driving style will not endanger any velcro attachments…. :p

Now off to join Trev in hiding!!!!

• Like 2

'doors' and 'sorn' does the swear filter not work on this forum, go and wash your mouth out.

You two are now soohh uninvited on my next run out

:d  :d  :d

• Like 1

GRBBONGO - did it pass the MOT?