Track racing North East

Deanspoors

I am fairly keen to get into amateur track racing next year, but not sure how easily it is going to be to get ready for it and how accessible it is. How are races generally entered, e.g. racing at croft, which is my local circuit. Also what equipment am I going to need which is not fitted to a standard road car.

I have a Westfield Megabusa,

Full Caged Roll cage

1l Catch tank

Yellow Earth

FIA kill Switch

Still to buy;

AFFF mechanical Fire extinguisher kit - to order - what size??

Decals for car numbering

Tow straps - Any particular kind? Front and back?

Full race gear, helmet, gloves, boots, coveralls, Hans.

Intake/silencer for noise reduction.

Still to do;

MSA Licence

ARDS test - for national b

What am I missing so far?

Cheers,

Dean

Not sure how many track days you have done with the car Dean and slot yourself into my suggestions below wherever you fit.

1. Do a load of trackdays until you are really comfortable when the car is on it's limits.

2. Some proper driver training sessions in amongst the above with recognised trainers ie experienced Race drivers

3. Some sprints / hillclimbs as an introduction into competing, also means you will be great at starts when racing.

4. Racing  :d

DDMC run the Northern Saloons which is a good place to start, competitive but friendly. Speak to Pete, he's the boy.

2. Some proper driver training sessions in amongst the above with recognised trainers ie experienced Race drivers

Speak to Pete, he's the boy.

2. Can I recommend Adam R.  Top bloke but based near Preston.  Not had any training sessions with him though.

Pete who??

Thanks Martin - very kind. There are a couple of chaps within the Westfield fold who I have done some work with in the past, if you are interested to hear how things work I can pass on their details Dean, or have a read here.

I think Nick means Pete Dixon - he's a Croft local and done quite a bit of racing over the past few years as far as I can tell :t-up: Also happy to give you a call to discuss the finer points of what's your first post if you like, just drop me a PM with your number - but you have it pretty much spot on there.

Noise will not be an issue for racing as the regs allow higher noise limits than track days, but you may need an extra return spring on the throttle.

2. Can I recommend Adam R.  Top bloke but based near Preston.  Not had any training sessions with him though.

Pete who??

Martin, you have linked the 2 when I didn;t mean you to. Adam is right it's Pete Dixon and I meant it in terms of talking to him about the DDMC events, not track driving.

In terms of Driver tuition, in general any that you get from someone with more experience and who is a recognised "good instructor" with MSA Instructor status is what I was talking about. Many years ago I had a couple of sessions with Don Palmer which were very good. These days I think he is a bit more corperate. Mark Hales is the other one that comes to mind. Those are the higher end guys who are well know.

Good point Nick. There's always something you can pick up from someone who's more experienced than yourself. Both Mark and Don are very good from what I hear - comes at a cost though!

Good point Nick. There's always something you can pick up from someone who's more experienced than yourself. Both Mark and Don are very good from what I hear - comes at a cost though!

As you know Adam, "your always learning"

Thank fully back then it wasn't to bad, have'nt looked for years now.

• Like 1

Pete Dixon has retired Nick! .. at least that's what he's saying.. again!! Currently he's got no engine and a bust gearbox, so it could be true this time. ;)

As for racing at Croft, you'd have to be looking at The Northern Sports and Saloons. Croft is their "home" track with other races at Oulton, Cadwell, and Knockhill to name a few.

Mark Leybourne is currently racing with NSSCC, and would be one you'd be competing with, with his BEC Westy, so probably good to sniff him out on here. (user name Cast Iron)

To add to what's been said, looking at your list.. I think the oil catch tank requirement is 2liters, but not 100% so check that. You'll need a race transponder too.

And,  lots and lots of seat time. :)

• Like 1

Don Palmer seems to be pushing his ice training mainly, especially at this time of year.

I would add an airfield test session to Nick's list also.  At trackdays you can be frowned upon if you go over the limits too often.

Still to buy;

AFFF mechanical Fire extinguisher kit - to order - what size??

What am I missing so far?

Cheers,

Dean

Dean,

Check out alternative fire extinguishant, as the afff is not very good at actually putting out fires.......

Trackdays on airfields with lots of runoff and little to hit are very useful for getting to know the cars limits as well as your own and seat time pushing hard against similar performance cars is invaluable IMHO

As above, plenty track time, instruction and maybe a sprint or two.

Just to add, having seen your car do you want to take it racing?

Lots of additional wear and tear, and the risk of likely damage...just something else to consider.

Rich

Sounds like it would be better to sprint in speed series..less damage etc

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try and participate in the sprint series next year, only problem being that I work abroad for half of the year so will struggle to get enough meetings in. Will top up my track time with regular track days at Croft, Teesside and other localish tracks. Tbh if I want to start track racing I'm probably better off selling my car and getting something that I won't cry at when it gets bumped or rolled.