Racing a Westfield?

Terzo204

Mike, I have already fitted my newly purchased straps, so will probably go with those for the moment and if regs change then I will need to make some alterations to the tub (cut holes for the two at the rear) as I am not sure where I could mount the wire tow eyes that wouldn't cause significant damage otherwise if used. The front two seem to be relatively straight forward as long as I can get them long enough not to damage the nose cone if used. Hope this makes sense.

If i don't catch up with you before hopefully see you at Donny.

Lee

I'll have to change mine at the end of the season if the 'recommended' regs make it into the Blue Book...

I have sent my membership form off to CSCC now so i'l be at Donny. I'm doing a track day there next Friday and I cannot wait. I just hope the cars not going to let me down, it's had a lot of work done to it.

Thanks Iowlee, I think I might know how to fit them based on taking a few hits from that video. It looks like I put the loops on the tethers through the harness fittings and then attach then via the two semicirclar fitting on my wrists. When I get me car back tonight Ill have a play I think.

A question for those in the know…

I was advised by a motorsport mechanic that I may need to have additional support behind my head in order to pass scruitneering to race. The idea being that if I have an impact, my head is supported from the rear.

I have a Playskool full cage and Tillet B6 seats with 6-point harnesses.

He was suggesting that I may need to fabricate a support/bar to prevent any rearward movement of the seat (a bit like the Caterhams do)

Makes sense - and a good idea IMO even if it's not a regulation... Can be done quite easily, I'll try and grab a pic for you.

• Like 1

Thanks Adam. I was advised I may also be able to move the harness points as well to make the HANS fit better.

Pic would be great.

I was advised I may also be able to move the harness points as well to make the HANS fit better.

Pic would be great.

Terry Everall has done an excellent job of this with an extra bar between original harness points. PM him for details.

Thanks David - this is what was suggested to me by the mechanic at Corinum Motorsport. A bar between the original harness points and then a 'stay' for the seats rising from that. 

I guess the consensus is that I need to get this....more money....

The car's now running great having got it back from BLINK by the way. I'm at Donnington Park tomorrow to give it a run out. Fingers crossed it's reliable, I have done a lot of work to the car over the Winter.

Thanks,

Mike

Hope all goes well tomorrow Mike, be keen to see what you think and see some vids :)

I'm trying to get this photo over to you but seem to have lost your number when changing phones recently! If you can give me a shout I'll reply... Cheers.

Hi Adam,

Not as keen as me! I have borrowed a friends Go Pro so 'ill try to get a vid on YT for your advice again.

My number is 07765 900 547

mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike - the additional support behind the seat is only relevant if you don't have a headrest - your tillett will be fine provided it's a high back one. If you're using a kart-type seat then they will want to see some sort of fixed, padded support behind your head.

The other common issue is about seat flex - the scrutineers check the seat for movement and if there's flex, may request that you fix it to the back panel somehow. I think that might be what Adam is referring to.

I had a bar behind my head on my old cage and was never happy it was there - just something solid for my head to hit :(

Thanks BCF. I have a B6 Tillett with integral headrest. I think I might fix the seat based your advice and what others have said advice I have said. Either way, I need to bring the harness points in and having spoken with Terry Everall, I now have a plan.

Donny on Friday was my first track outing this year. The car was very different to drive, but now noticeably quicker. Adam set up my ARB's and fitted new springs and I can report that the balance is blooming' brilliant. Very predictable and just the right of amount of understeer to let you know you are on the limit. I had a little mid corner oversteer when on the absolute limit and that's just how I like it. Really, really pleased with it now….except one thing. The cooling issue I had last year is still there. This limited my running to max 5 mins stints after a warm up lap. I was properly gutted by lunch as it was proving to be a real pain coupled with traffic meaning I could not really get under the skin of the new engine/setup. 

I think I got somewhere near to a quail lap in the end though, knocking nearly 2.5 seconds off by previous PB at Donny and I think there is till more to come once I sort the cooling issue and get some more running. Having spoken to a number of persons about this now (and having replaced the thermostat), I think I may have a radiator thats past it.

I also noticed my fronts are now 4 years old, probably not ideal…..

Mike