Racing a Westfield?

Terzo204

A few questions before I work on the car tomorrow:

Does anyone know if you need to have two pull handles for the extinguisher for an open car? I.e one to be operated by me and the other by the marshal? Reading the blue book its not entirely clear (to me anyway...) I think I need both

I read it, that it needed 2 points one in the car and one outside the car near to the electrical cut out. And stickers accordingly. (well thats what I did)  However the kit that I bought did have a single firing option, so I suppose that could be correct. So not really that much help sorry.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/lifeline-fire-extinguisher-2-25ltr-electrical-saloon-101-225-004

This was the kit that I bought.

As I was not sure whether I need another pull/trigger point on the outside of the car, I fitted it anyway. The second pull/trigger came with the pack I bought and it was not much more effort in the overall scheme of things.

I'm still none the wiser re. the steering lock. I am thinking that I may just drill out the bolts holding it in place and then just bolt fix it when I have removed the lock mechanism.

take the lock off all together and have a dash mounted ignition key or switch

• Like 1

It's taking the lock off that's giving me the problem at the moment! I might just drill the bolts - I think they may be shear bolts/anti tamper bolts.

Mounting the key on the dash might be an option though.

Usually they're anti tamper bolts, as you say. So need drilling/cutting off.

Wy do you need a key start in a race car 

Much more normal to have an ignition flick switch and either an integrated starter or a separate push button starter all that you can reach whilst strapped in

Have a look at LONGACRE products

Thanks Terry but I use the car on the road (and road classes for sprinting) and it's insured as such so I need to keep the key.

Thanks Terry but I use the car on the road (and road classes for sprinting) and it's insured as such so I need to keep the key.

Mine was used on the road up to the start of this season and even then had an ignition flick switch and master key. Far easier than a key.

How's your prep coming on for 2016, have you decided where you are racing yet? 

So far I have:

1: Fitted the fire extinguisher

2. Fitted the rear ARB

3. Fitted the rain light

4. Stripped and painted the rear bulkhead ready for covering the holes

I still need to:

1. Fit the front ARB

2. Render the steering lock inoperative

Once all of that is done, the car is going to BLINK for a bit of engine work and I may get them to check the set up.

I also need to buy a new helmet and Hands. I'll do that at the Autosport Show in January.

I am looking to run a race or two in both the Mag 7's and the Castle Coombe Sports and GT.

I don't think I'll have much left in the pot this year to do many races as I it's been/will be an expensive off season for me. I also want to  do at least one test/trackday before any racing and I want to do the Blyton sprint again this year.

I also want to  do at least one test/trackday before any racing and I want to do the Blyton sprint again this year.

The biggest thing I learnt this year is to test before racing at any circuit I'd not been at in the car before. Made a really big difference.

I totally agree Rich - not knowing the track would be 'inhibiting' to say the least!

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a tow eye like the one on Smokey Mo's car in this thread:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/112920-tow-eye-on-westy/?fromsearch=1

We did a double header at Mallory this year, first laps were qualifying for the open race, by the time we finished the Mag 7s race the next day I was comfortable with the circuit! We then tested at Donington before we raced there, in the open race we made 20 places up in 40 mins, big difference!

Merlin Motorsport have those tow eyes in stock I think.

I totally agree Rich - not knowing the track would be 'inhibiting' to say the least!

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a tow eye like the one on Smokey Mo's car in this thread:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/112920-tow-eye-on-westy/?fromsearch=1

Smokey designed them, (he's a qualified engineer) and had a small batch made, some years ago. You could drop him a PM on the off chance he's got a spare form that original batch...

I have one you can have Mike

Thanks David,

I may well take you up on the kind offer - I just want to look into an alternative suggestion made by a friend of mine.

He suggested using a flat tow eye like this one:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/towing-eyes-straps/omp-flat-tow-eye

and then fixing it to the front and 'return' chassis members. It wil be offset from the centre line of the car but may be less stress on the chassis. I just want to look into that option first.

Can I come back to you on this? Sorry for the messing around