Any diesel experts about?

Andrew O Byrne White - Ireland AO

My daily driver has started giving me some hassle over the last couple of weeks.  Fine on startup but after a while, suddenly loses power to the point where it can barely climb a hill in second gear.  I've connected up some diagnostic software to it and getting the following: "P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance".  Strangely, this was staying as a temporary fault so not turning on the CEL.

Naturally, I thought MAF sensor fault.  Before replacing it I had a go at cleaning it (I know you're not *really* supposed to but I had a can of isopropyl lying about).  After doing that, it did cause the CEL to come on after a few minutes driving.  Strangely, the stability control system light came on with it but still the same fault logged.  Ordered a new MAF but having replaced that I've still got the same problem.  Back to only being a temporary fault again.

Any thoughts that don't involve removing the turbo would be greatly appreciated!  It's a 2008 Subaru Legacy diesel by the way.

Split hose or sticky egr valve just my guess tho from previous oil burners and the symptoms you describe

have you checked with the car running that nothings come loose? Some good skooby forums where you might get some more info//www.uklegacy.com

I've had a trawl through the forums but unfortunately the diesel wasn't a very popular car and there's very little data about on it.  I'll have to have a look around for any hoses.  EGR did cross my mind too but I would have expected a fault to be flagged for that?  Might do no harm to dismantle it all at the weekend anyway and give it a good clean.

If OK initially then quite likely to be something like EGR valve opening for the first time. Can you just electrically disconnect it (should give a separate fault code) to see if it drives ok (obviously with higher NOx and worse fuel economy...)

I had a similar thing on my defender would start and run OK but as soon as you put your foot down of hit a hill, noting I had a tractor overtake me on a hill. It turned out to be the low pressure fuel pump in the tank

My TDDi Mondeo had this symptom and it was the hose between the turbo and the inlet manifold that had a split in it.

Cheers for the responses. Right about now I'm wishing I had a slightly easier engine configuration to work on...

This sounds about right.  For the BMW/Freelander motor, the MAF sensor is the usual culprit.  I've seen turbo hoses delaminate and plastic pipes split.  They only leak with good boost, so you'll hear nothing under the bonnet.  Plus there may be oil etc in the inlet, that might jam the EGR

My TDDi Mondeo had this symptom and it was the hose between the turbo and the inlet manifold that had a split in it.

Exactly same on an Audi A6 I once owned

Air leak, either the EGR pintle may be stuck open, or hose leak on the inlet side.

If it's the EGR then you'll need to clean it, then BG244 in the fuel tank every 6 months to stop the gunge build up. 

I also have or for now this week the1.9 tdi is working ok, no fault codes just goes onto limp mode,so stop engine and restart then ok,so spoke to a few people no idear they saids clean the turbo ,Millers  said use one shot cleaner in the fuel or better still put 3 shots in , so far its worked so give it ago cost £ 11.50 for 10 shots .

Spot on with the prediction of a split pipe.  In between the intercooler and the intake manifold.  More worryingly however, there's a substantial amount of oil in the pipes.  Checked the oil level of the car about two weeks back when this all started and it was fine.  Just checked now and it's just above the low mark.  I'm parked on a slight hill so the dipstick side is very slightly higher but there's definitely been some consumption.

Intercooler could be leaking? Wipe out as much oil as you can, Pop on the new pipe, top up the oil drive it until hot, then whip the pipe off and assess the leak from there,

Unless you look in these pipes regularly you have no comparison with what's normal. Keep an eye on the oil and cross your fingers! Glad you sorted the problem anyway. :t-up:

And now I'm stumped again.  Replaced the split hose.  Certainly quieter now and smoother when starting but after a few minutes, same thing again.  No power and the CEL is on.  Same fault code.  I'm completely at a loss now!  Was going to clean the EGR when swapping the pipe but couldn't get the poxy thing off.  I'll try again during the week and see if that makes any difference.