Tyre Question/Class for 2016

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

I can think of several times in the Westfield classes when road going cars have been damaged to the point of being completely undrivable, and some times when cars have suffered engine or transmission problems. In each case the owner has had a trailer and tow car, so has been able to get themselves and their car home without difficulty.

In contrast, at Rockingham this year a lady driver made a serious mess of her Subaru (or was it a Mitsubishi?) and not only had she driven the car to the meeting, but it was her everyday road car. I don't know how she got herself and the car home, but hope she had some very good friends.

Phil, I think I know why the MSA may be proposing/introducing some of these changes, but I don't wish to discuss it on an open forum! Have a word with me tomorrow, and I'll enlighten you!!

Yeah it is the biggest worry about having an off if you do drive it to the track and back! 

For me though i think the fact that i do drive it there really keeps my mind on the job and means that i am less likely to do anything silly! 

I really can't afford to write my car off so i drive within my limits! that is not to say i don't push on and get the car a little sideways but i do think it keeps you honest in terms of risk management! Doing that in a tin top might be a different story as these cars (westys/ 7 type cars) are so intuitive on the limit and you can have it moving about but not be at any real risk of crashing it!

That being said i have done all of my track days bar 1 in the dry this year! might be a different story in the wet! in all honesty if it was p******** down i probably wouldn't go! 

obviously if you are really pushing and going for class wins then a trailer is a good idea but i suppose if your at that level then you will have probably factored in crashing the car in the budget!

i have also had some of my best drives to and from the track!  ............although ti was a little chilly come back last night in the dark after a brilliant night at KAMES ! :) 

Have to say in the brief period I did a handful of events in the Speed Series years ago, I was able to borrow a trailer for 3/4 and had a great deal of fun. At the ones I drove too, it was always at the back of my mind that it was the ride home and for me, it killed all the enjoyment of a run. I'd get back to the paddock each time and all I could feel was relief that the car was still in one piece.

No doubt it might be something that faded with experience, certainly I know there were drivers back then that had been driving to and from events for years in their Westfields, with no problem. But it wasn't for me! 

Well I am building my car for road and sprint use but if these changes keep coming from the MSA it's looking like a different story.

I can relate to Paul n.

I've driven to many Sprints and dome track days over last 3 years.

I know I could drive faster and make it out the other side but play the % won't take the risks to drive flat out.

I could not afford the bills let alone injuries of having a pile up.

Trailered or driven to event I drive the same.

But if driven I do usually have some very massifly kind Westfield friends where agreement is the broken down car gets the trailer and t'other drives Westie back.

I have a similar "friend with a trailer" 

fingers crossed I never have to use that option! :) 

they say sooth is fast anyway so probably wouldn't go any quicker if i drove it like i stole it anyway! 

are soft compound 888's allowed does anybody know? list just says 888 are allowed but doesn't mention compound, would this be the default choice for people if they can't run the favored tyres from this year?

cheers Paul 

One of the b19 sprinter is something to do with a Porsche dealership. Each year he would turn up with the latest gt3 (Brian Winston) and would always joke that he had the invoice taped to the daskboard to remind him not to crash!!

One of the b19 sprinter is something to do with a Porsche dealership. Each year he would turn up with the latest gt3 (Brian Winston) and would always joke that he had the invoice taped to the daskboard to remind him not to crash!!

But he did crash (at Snetterton last year)  --  big time  --  broken wrist  --  big bill.

I'm not sure the car was ready again for the B19 event at Hethel in May this year, so the poor fellow had to bring his Ferrari 458  --  you've got to sympathize!

Charming chap.

not to worry because it rebuilt and gone up in value to about 156k

Back to tyres, if we do run 1b looks like in 13" the only choice will be the Avon ZZS or Toyo R888 / R888R.  There is no Kumho option.

In the avon sizes are 185, 215 and 245.  Toyo seem to be just 185 and 205.

When are we likely to have an answer on this?  What is the process?

I may end up needing  to change wheels if I run a different size.

Who's going to be the first to work out which has most grip.  Looks like the Caterhams have been using the ZZS as a control tyre so there must be some data.

David

I have just had quite a long conversation with Paul Smith from BMTR about tyres. He advises that competitors should lobby their championship co-ordinators to allow the use of list 1C tyres to be able to continue to use the likes of Avon ZZR and Kuhmo V700 etc

Apparently the Midland Hillclimb Championship are adapting this rule so existing competitors can continue t use the same tyres as they have been and keep the records for classes as they are to avoid unnecessary disruption.

Now the suggestion is out in the open, its upto you guys (an me) to lobby our championship co-ordinator to adopt the same ruling.

Over to you guys....

I dont think its a problem for us (WSCC) to allow 1C but I think that the organising clubs will not be able to allow them in road going 'on the day' at an event , so we could not run in 2A/2B and will be put in with slicks . but I may have misunderstood

John

I think that would be a good outcome - even if only a transition arrangement.

In any case I think that at every event I have done this year I have been in a Westfield only class which suits me fine.

However if we were in a non road going class on the day (even if just Westfields) would the cars then need an MSA log book?

David