Really strong beer

dombanks

I'm pretty much taken in with the craft beer scene and lovee a decent strong IPA or a decent American double IPA. Brewdog Amd the like serve some great stuff. Currently drinking a maelk that's 13%.

But just had some tactical nuclear penguin that was lovely (32%). The next one up is dink the Bismarck and my god its possible the worse thing Ive drunk ever ....

Any one else like some decent craft beer rather than the wishy washy warm camera rubbish?

Abbot Confessional is damn tasty and high abv but I forgot the percentage.   Your 32% abv beers are out my league at my age and can you really call it Beer?

The very high % stuff is just brewdog doing it because they can. They basically brew something to 13% ish and then freeze distil it further. You only buy it by the nip and its not something I normally get. Most stuff is 6-10%

Also had a really good black IPA but the name escapes me

My favourite beers are the pale and hoppy session ales.  Paler and hoppier the better.  Usually 4% or less.  You can keep the treacly stuff.

My favourite beers are the pale and hoppy session ales.  Paler and hoppier the better.  Usually 4% or less.  You can keep the treacly stuff.

Stuart, have you tried any of the Badgers like Fursty Ferret or Hoppin Hare, even Golden Glory.

As for Dombanks original post, all to heavy for me. And anything much more the 6% gets me clattered a bit quick.

Funny as for a while I thought Dombanks user name was Doombar, which is my regular pint at the H&H, had three at lunchtime..!

I've never been able to handle (properly) strong beers since a bad (as in the projectile sense) experience after drinking some revolting Barley Wine stuff on a student drinking session with mates, and that was only about 12%

Ever since then there's been something of the taste of the stronger beers that just takes me straight back in time to the horror of discovering something I was later told was, ahem, projectile vomiting; till then, I'd thought it was just a movie special effect, Exorcist style. 

Nowadays, I drink so little thanks to the meds, that I tend to stick to weak to medium session beers, on the rare occasions I drink.

We do get some nice one's round here from the various microbreweries.

Dave, I can empathise... Not beer but Southern Comfort...

Had a similar experience when I was 20, 27 years on and I still cant even smell tbe stuff.

Must be something in the whole 'Clockwork Orange' aversion therapy thing

• Like 1

Thing is with the heavy stuff you rarely drink it in pints. Most of the time it's 2/3 or for some its1/3. The maelk I had the other night was 1/2. It was pretty ritch in taste and quite thick so ypu didn't drink it fast.

I find done of the mainstream breweries beers a bit wishy washy. Especially where they are trying to copy craft taste with the lower abv to get around the tax.

Is it the badger lot that do a peach flavoured beer? Funny as I was drinking the hopping hare last night :)

Is it the badger lot that do a peach flavoured beer? Funny as I was drinking the hopping hare last night :)

Yup... It's Golden Glory

Similar in depth and colour to Golden Champion but exactly as you say, got a fruity note. Really nice for sitting in the garden.

There is a box set of six different bottles of Badgers which 5 of are very, very quaffable (includes Glory, Champion, Ferret, Hoppin Hare and Leaping Legend. The only questionable one is Blanford Flyer, why they thought a ginger flavoured beer sat in the summer collection I have no idea...)

Tesco does it and I'm doing a shop today so will bag my usual box and post up a pic.

And totally agree with how you are drinking the heavy stuff. Unfortunately I'm a quaffer who (as my work colleagues say) just inhales a pint and am on my third whilst they are nursing their first.

That is why I stay of the sticky stuff. Funnily enough you and I are probably clocking the same amount of alcohol..!

Funny how you can argue the toss about beer as much as you can engines :laugh:

I love Badger Champion and the other pale real ales.  Shephard & Neames Whitstable Bay Ale and Brentwood Blonde are two other similar beers and they are occasionally on draught at my local.   Yummy.

This thread is making me thirsty!  :d