Restoring a historic number plate

BudSlater

folks, after some advice, got an old number plate from my dads car which is an original black and white pre 1970 number plate. It's seen better days but as my dad is no longer here, I'd like to restore it and have it in my garage... So I'm wondering the best way to go. Sand blasting seems excessive and then there's the question of how to paint the background black, whilst retaining the silver lettering without damage...

Any ideas / suggestions

Leave it with the original patina, or is it too far gone?

yes, I'd leave original too

I'd go along with the "leave it as is" approach - unless it's faded beyond recognition but even then that can often add to its originality.

If you have a picture of your dads car with the number plate in its earlier days, then hang the two together in the garage - will always bring back memories and a smile  :)   

If you do go for "blasting" and I wouldn't unless it were necessary. There are many grades and severities of blast from almost a tickle to a full blooded grit blast its all about selection of blast pressures and materials from nutshells to garnet and carbide.

Bob :d

Don't use sand, it will leave lots pitting on the plate.  plastic beads is far gentler.   I'm all for leaving it as it is.

If at all possible, leave as is, other than for a thorough clean up of all the grease/grime and the film of muck that builds over the years.

Assuming it cleans up ok ish.

If you're worried it might deteriorate then consider getting it clear coated. Done right, it'll preserve the plate with its current patina.

If at all possible, leave as is, other than for a thorough clean up of all the grease/grime and the film of muck that builds over the years.

Assuming it cleans up ok ish.

If you're worried it might deteriorate then consider getting it clear coated. Done right, it'll preserve the plate with its current patina.

Dave, would you need to 'stabilise' the plate before clear coating it? Is there any chance of corrosion under the coat. I know air cant get to it but I'm thinking of the nibbling you get round the edges of CD / DVDs

BTW I'm also in the "leave as is" if possible camp