New 'interesting but not impractical' daily driver. E45 330 Coupe?

dhutch

I need a new car.

The current daily is a 1995 1.6 E36 Compact which replaced a 1.8 Merdian spec 306 in a rush, its been a great car, but it really is starting showing its age and even if I poured time and money into getting it nice again it will never be worth much more than the £650 I paid for it.

Requirements are:

- Interesting to drive/look at.

- Practical enough to used daily.

- Seats take four/five adults if not overly comfortably.

- Boot space to put a pair of mountain bikes in, with two people.

- Towing capacity to legally tow a 1200kg trailer.

- Be petrol and a manual. Handbrake that works?

Current thoughts are:

- E46 Coupe 330

- Mk1 Octavia VRS

- Alfa 195 (estate?)

- Z4 and keep the compact as a third car. (no boot space)

- M3 and keep the compact as a third car. (cant tow)

If it costs more than £4000 it will be most expensive car I have ever owned, but on the flipside I have twice and as long as its not going to top in value for being used daily I am not against spending it.

Daniel

You'd struggle with two bikes in the back of a 330Ci I think.

What about a 330 touring?

No BMW is going to stand the test of time (looks wise), they facelift so often and are so common on the roads, that within a few years it'll look old and dated. Plus with BMWs it's all about status and having the newest car on the latest plate.

I really love my E91 330i Touring M Sport so I have to recommend it. Maybe a touch over budget, but well worth it. Mine gets used for commuting, mountain bike duties, towing the Westie, tip runs, and it's fun on good roads (260bhp doesn't hang about).

No BMW is going to stand the test of time (looks wise), they facelift so often and are so common on the roads, that within a few years it'll look old and dated. Plus with BMWs it's all about status and having the newest car on the latest plate.

Disagree. I think E46s still look fresh.

If you can get a good vRS, you can't have much more fun with BMW owners. I had one from new in 2002 and it was an absolute hoot in a green light race!

Listen to me, I need to grow up.

If you are buying a VRS, buy a petrol estate version, should be able to budget for the Mk2 version.  The older derv VAG cars are becoming an expensive motor to repair these days.

I recently bought an Audi A3 3.2 Quattro. What a cracking "Q" car, practical but fun in any weather, makes me smile almost as much as the westy.

My Impreza WRX wagon ticks all of your boxes :)

temporary_zpsglxtamkp.jpg

Admittedly I paid £7k for mine, but it's a late, low mileage Prodrive model. You can get a nice blob-eye wagon for sub £4k and it'll do you very well. My old (2002) one had 130k on it when I sold it several years ago, and as far as I know it's still going strong :)

Thanks for the the comments so far.

The E46 330 touring would make a lot of sense, it just feels a much larger and more grown up car than I feel I am ready for, even if just in the looks.

As said, I think the E46 has aged really well, and to be honest prefer its looks to the bulk of the range that follows. In the right light and at the right angle I can get quite enthused about the 1 series, but at other angles it looks quite awkward, and the new radiator grill is worse than the earlier.

The VRS would we the 1mk estate, and I dont really know why I feel more happy to have that than the E46 estate, but even the more childish VRs feels large enough I should have a family to share it with, and instead have broken up with my long term girlfriend, live with two lodgers, and am messing about with boats and engines while lapping up almost student lifestyle again.

A3 Quattro makes sense also. Its a hard life!

Just really like the rwd aspect.

Anyone got a E46 coupe and try the boot space of.....?

Daniel

You mean like my E46 330ci that's for sale at the moment :)

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/115573-2004-bmw-3-series-330ci-m-sport-%C2%A34000

I used to put my Giant road bike in the back OK but would struggle with two. I can try it on Saturday for you though (I don't keep the car at my flat in London). 

I'm only selling to get a Range Rover/Discovery.