Westy, optimum power output ?

McDuff

I hit 124 mph with 270bhp

Funny thing, that Pete, my figures were remarkably similar!! (both power and speed!)

I hit 124 mph with 270bhp

I've done 142/44 can't remember with 300+BHP. Even with 300 I think it's not enough. So it doesn't really matter how much power you have because it's never enough.

• Like 1

Mine's at just under 170bhp and is plenty quick for road use - feels nice and 'planted' and has enough to make me smile every time I hit the twisties.

I'd say that any more is only of use on the track where you want to have enough to stop fast lardy things overtake on the straights then hold you up in the corners.

I've yet to take mine out on track - but I reckon that's the only time when I'd be asking for more :)

I've done 142/44 can't remember with 300+BHP. Even with 300 I think it's not enough. So it doesn't really matter how much power you have because it's never enough.

Was that on a track Luke?  :d

Which one....... 

• Like 1

The perfect power figure for a westfield is, of course, whatever the cross flow engine can muster :-)

• Like 4

You only know you've got too much power when you are going backwards into the Armco, Bravery pills and madness outweigh skill only until you have an incident then you realise how good or bad a driver you are. Anyone can go fast its the getting round corners, stopping and especially in groups of similar cars on track. I've seen plenty of guys bigging up there dyno readings and quoting to the single digit bhp but its irrelevant if you as a driver are not as competent as you could be. Probably more a danger than a decent driver. I'm happy with my 200+ its plenty enough to highlight my lack of skill but when it all comes together is a blast to drive especially on slicks on the track. Was at WGT some time ago getting two of our group rolling roaded when a guy came in with his 500+ road car which was down on power. He actually had 200bhp and a huge split in one of his air ducts. You could hear it as he drove in. Common sense nil quest for power max. Takes all sorts.

Bob :d

On the road and on the track are two totally different things when looking at optimum power.

I've gone from 160-180bhp to a V8 with 250bhp, and while I miss the agility that came with the lighter car, my V8 overtakes on the road like I hoped my less powerful car would.

On the track my 1st car would keep up on the corners but it would get passed in a blink by my v8 on the exits .

178bhp not enough, 180bhp too much :p

• Like 1

This is one of those questions where there really is no right answer. 250 with a skilled driver would be a good answer as would 175 with a relative newbie driver. Against all of that you need to put cost and reliability. 175, not too expensive and very reliable, 250 a different story depending on the base engine.

And remember that a BEC car say with a standard Blade CBR1000RR would give you about 165bhp at the rear wheel and is mental!!!!!!

And remember that a BEC car say with a standard Blade CBR1000RR would give you about 165bhp at the rear wheel and is mental!!!!!!

As opposed to a 'Lardy CEC' :yellow-westy: with similar power.

Weight is a factor.

My road spec Westie is 710kg with me in it, whereas a more track orientated car could easily be 100kg less with driver.

380 hp 413 lbft torque 700 kg

Need More power

You get used to it and just need more !!!

And more!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is a bit of a bump... but I just stumbled across the thread via Google and thought I'd chime in!

Having had a few different Westies / kit cars now, I would say around 180bhp in a Se7en - and an important caveat - with matched gearing (box, diff and wheels / tyres). It's all about torque at the hubs - no point having 15" wheels and a 3.6 diff IMO, as the car will never even reach the top of 4th gear never mind 5th.

By using this 'mantra', you can build the car pretty light and simple for not too much money, yet still run rings around 95% of cars on track days and have a LOT of fun on the road :t-up:

The car I have now is approx 185bhp and runs out of gears about 115mph (limiter in 4th), but with a really long 1st (just over 45mph) it feels pretty much as quick to 80-90mph as the 260bhp car it has replaced. That was geared to 155mph at the top of 5th and maybe 40kg heavier, which may explain it... After these sorts of speeds though, I have no doubt the more powerful car will cruise away.

Im running 180 at the moment! Just the box and diff to do perhaps. No lsd and mt75 right now

Std 2 Duratec on TB's running weber alpha, Westfield used to claim 200, but its generally thought to be more like 180bhp. Never been on rollers mind!

Tried the 3.92 Sierra diff and MT box - on track it was just 3rd and 4th for me, the novice

Then tried a 3.62 diff ... so then it was 2nd 3rd and briefly 4th - must try harder! Did feel a little slower off the mark, or could have just been me convincing myself. Crused nicely at 70 though on the road!

Next its SPC close ratio box, and the 3.9 LSD diff, thats an over winter upgrade ... looking forward to see the results from that!

As others have said its setup thats key - so have good rubber, widetrack, AP's, ARB front and rear (Playskool - they are excellent BTW) and new Protec shocks .... all expertly set up and corner weighted by Blink.

May look for more power at some point, but as you will see, its the last option on the list for me.

Andy