the David

Hemsley

Mark, I like the look of the heat shield material, I will have a go with this or something similar. I had thought about wrapping it around the starter and then noticed that there was a risk of shorting out the terminals - fixing it to the chassis and the manifold would be far more sensible!

Enjoyed myself this weekend. Finished fixing the front cycle wings, and I found that it takes far longer than I thought it would to route a few wires and fix with cable ties etc. Very pleased with the result however, especially the smaller repeater indicators.

touchdown_zpsu19nqazy.jpg

Then it was time to drop the car down on it's wheels, fit the header tank, top up the coolant and take her outside to warm up.

top%20up%20the%20coolant_zpst6a76wcv.jpg

I wanted to check that all the electrics were working correctly with the car running.

https://youtu.be/nzaDzXUJSyQ

Amanda was on her way out when I took the car outside. When she sat in the daily driver and looked in the rear view mirror she said she could not see the car - do I'm certainly investing in a high level brake light (first job after the IVA).

nearside_zpsqkpn9qgr.jpg

The large bucket in the passenger space is a prototype coffee cup holder.

large%20cup%20holder_zps00jucghn.jpg

I was pleased to see that the thermostat opened and the fan kicked in correctly. I did notice a small stream of coolant flowing back into the header tank, and hope this is also normal - no idea. There must have been a few airlocks in the system as the header tank level dropped, and I topped it up a couple of times - without a puddle on the drive.

https://youtu.be/BKML3ajX2P8

offside_zpsvwypzs0g.jpg

So far I have only checked 1st, 2nd and reverse gears, but they all work fine.  Tacho and Speedo both showing sensible readings, but not had a chance to check the accuracy of the latter.

I then started on checking the final aspects of the dashboard, and then the carpet and interior side panels. I discovered that I've made a daft mistake in locating a pair of power and USB sockets so that they foul against the contour dashboard "glove box". Not yet decided what to do about that, but it's not difficult to just remove this for the IVA and replace it correctly later.

Surprised that adding the carpet makes such a big difference to the appearance of the interior.

Won't be doing anything on the car for a couple of weeks now as I am taking Amanda away for a short break to northern Spain. After spending so long in the garage I'm not sure how she will react to spending so much time with me!

• Like 2

Real progress Martin, you have just about caught me up!!

Car looks great, I really like the colour.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a splendid 3 days away with Amanda in the Basque area last weekend. It is a truly beautiful area and we enjoyed the contrast of modern Bilbao architecture against the natural landscape of the Urdaibai estuary. Compared to the UK the absence of litter in this area of Spain is very noticeable and enviable. No litter on the streets, no waste or rubble dumped by the road or around waste bins. It's a habit and respect for the country which more of our population should adopt. Not being a massive fan of art and galleries, I am also surprised to say that I thoroughly recommend a visit to the Guggenheim, while some of the art I just do not understand, the much of it fascinating and stimulating.

So no serious withdrawal symptoms after a weekend away from the garage, and I’ve started into the last few build tasks and some of the long to-do list. I completed fitting the carpets and re-fitting the seats. On each seat there is one bolt thread with a very messy spot of weld preventing the nuts being fitted. I've done my best to grind this off and re-cut the thread. I've not fixed this well enough yet, the nuts are still getting chewed up. Ok for now but something I will need to work on again post IVA. All in all the car is looking awesome.

both%20seats%20fitted_zps1wffdahq.jpg

harnesses%20attached_zpsae5jhojv.jpg

The brakes feel soft so I will bleed them again tomorrow, and I at the same time I will raise the rear ride height as this looks a little low.

My latest question and one which I am still pondering - for those of you who have fitted the supplied bonnet clips. The build manual recommends putting a washer behind the panel to take pressure of the rivet and avoid cracking of the gel coat over time. However the inside of the side panel is inaccessible, due to the outside aluminium panel.

bonnet%20clip_zpsxtku2qbc.jpg

So I’m thinking that I might be able to tape a washer to a piece of wire or batten and slide it down the gap, but I see no way of pushing hard against the inside of the panel while fixing the rivet. I could use a nut and bolt, but don't see how I would stop the nut from twisting. Any suggestions very welcome.

Lastly I have been chasing up my IVA test application. I rang DVSA on Friday to find that they have not passed my application to the test centre because they had not linked it up with the payment. That's now corrected and I will call again on Monday to arrange a test date. Apparently the lead time should be 2 - 3 weeks.

• Like 1

I don't think the end that goes on the tub is so bad, i think it's more the catch that rivets to the bonnet that benefits from washers to spread the load.

The car's looking great by the way!

Your car is looking really good.

Your dad would be chuffed to bits to see it.

Looking good - you have got time to fit Aerocatches instead of the standard Westfield catches !!

I have only 5 days to wait for my IVA!

Thanks for the kind comments chaps, I think my Dad would indeed be chuffed. I just hope I can have it ready for Silverstone.

I'm starting to think about the IVA, sharp edges and nut covers. Investigating one of the few boxes of bits that I have left I found this.

not%20a%20nut%20cover_zpsocsfi56p.jpg

Any suggestions what to do with it!

Hi Martin

The strip is for the joint between the rear wheel arch carbon effect stone guard and the bodywork.

I did not fit mine as there was no need it was a nice tight fit.

I did however use the strip in the joint between the headlight spats and the bonnet, just to tidy up the joint.

Thanks Dave, I would never have guess that, and I was looking at them this afternoon thinking they were a good fit. Would never have occurred to me that this would be for the edge.

As for the aero catches, I hope to take a look at some cars with them fitted at Stoneleigh and see if I can work up the courage.

Have you fixed all your pre-IVA edge protection etc? I might ping you a few questions...

Yes all done, car sitting waiting to go.

The tough part was fitting the edge protection to the carbon effect cycle wings, because they are too thin. I had to bulk them out with a strip of guerilla tape. But as you have the GRP ones that shouldn't be a problem.

I secured all the nut covers with a large dab of silicone. I used a couple of 'popper' covers to cover the press studs on the windscreen where the half hood clips on.

Give me a shout if you need any pictures.

Took the car to get the basic wheel alignment checked today. Front wheel alignment is I believe now ok: slight toe-in and half-degree negative camber. Rear wheels however need some adjustment.

Could someone advise on how to interpret this, and simply what I should do for normal road use?

They did try to explain but I am not sure I really understood.

wheel%20alignment_zpsnqcookyx.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

5 sleeps until my IVA test. This weekend I've been fussing over things like nut covers, and hooking up an old Windows laptop to the ECU, and getting ready to balance the throttle bodies. I also adjusted the rear wheel alignment based on the data in my last post, and I hope it is now close enough, for the test and first 100 miles or so.

ECU%20hooked%20up%20to%20the%20laptop_zp

I've ordered a synchrometer so that I can check and adjust the air flow.  Dave (Sand Dancer) has just had issues with this on his IVA test, and I had the chance to speak to him about it at Stoneleigh where I met him at the Northampton Motorsport stand. Steve from NMS talked us through the process, and I've found a good video on you tube from Terry which also helps.

adjusting%20rear%20toe_zpsopoksnsi.jpg

My IVA test is going to be at Edmonton, as unfortunately my local centre in Watford does not test cars. Depending upon the route it is about 30 miles, which I hope will be a good distance to bed the brakes in, and not too far for anything to go wrong.

I've printed up 2 x A4 sized pages saying IVA TEST, for the bonnet and the boot. I'm going to fix them with plenty of double-sided tape. I might attach the rear number plate holder supplied by Westfield on a temporary basis, but it is a nuisance because it is the wrong size and will only be used for the IVA.

Off the garden now to distract myself.

Car is looking really nice Martin and good luck with the test.

Forget the garden..... Post more pictures.  :t-up: