the David

Hemsley

Flipped the chassis over this morning and set about drilling the hole for the steering tube. I'd brought some rubber blanks so that we can make a good seal around the tube when we eventually fit it.

Next up was fitting the master brake cylinder. Seems as though the bolts supplied are too big, for either the holes in the footwell bulkhead and the brake cylinder. I think they're 9mm, and the build manual says 8mm. I don't have any spare bolts the right size but it's not a problem as I have some that will hold it in place for now.

https://flic.kr/p/ydz9QN

Then onto the first pipe. Well it fits, but I really chewed it up and there is a definite kink. I'll have to get a replacement.

I should have practiced first, but i don't have spare brake pipe... but I do have some tough garden wire which is much easier to bend. I tried making a template with that before attacking the next pipe. When I then tried with the brake pipe it was near enough perfect. That gave me a little more confidence and I've finished the front pipes, except for replacing the first pipe I messed up.

Also made a start on the 2m pipe that runs down the tunnel to the rear tee, but finishing that off is a task for tomorrow.

I'm enjoying it Stu. Also had an offer from my brother in law to borrow his compressor, which is handy as he was able to bring it over today. So thanks for your offer, but I'll not be making the trip up to Swadlincote just yet.

Progress was good today, although I fear I may have fouled up one of the fuel pipes. As my Dad used to say, "more haste less speed". He was also fond of saying "measure twice cut once", and occasionally when he was in a rush "measure once cut twice".

https://flic.kr/p/y1zDFE

So a couple more photos added to flickr today - completed the brake pipes at the back. Fairly pleased with this but I'll only know for sure when I've hung everything else at the back in place.

Worked on the fuel lines, and one is very good. Unfortunately after taking care to mark up where I should start the bend (270mm in), I then went and bent it in the wrong place. Not sure if it will be ok, or if I will have to get a replacement.

As I'm waiting on the main wiring loom I move onto doing the pedals. This was relatively straight forward, which was just as well on a Sunday afternoon, with a glass of red to help me.

M

• 2 weeks later...

Very much more of a social event this weekend with my neighbours joining me on Saturday, always good to have some company. I did have some quiet time on my own after taking the dogs for a walk and making a pot of coffee... to concentrate on bending the short copper replacement brake pipe into the right shape. 

IMG_4167_zps7h174hys.jpg

All sorted and the unions all tightened up.

I think you can just see the edge of the copper pipe in the photo below (if I've followed the photo bucket upload correctly this time)

IMG_4176_zpszf19m33o.jpg

The rest of the weekend was then adjusting the tails on the fuel pipes, and fixing them down, along with the brake line down the centre tunnel. Only one minor slip up, locating one of the fuel pipes over the site for the accelerator cable connection. Easy to fix, plenty of room there... at least I think there is at the moment.

before

IMG_4186_zpsadq7t93b.jpg

and after.

IMG_4188_zpsjheh5mjv.jpg

Sunday was mostly drilling holes for the cable tie bases.

IMG_4180_zpsot4se8kc.jpg

Riveted a few down where space is tight and only the small rivet tool will fit. Saving the others for when the air gun arrives, which should be later this week.

IMG_4181_zpscgiwvhwi.jpg

I'll spend my evenings this week planning for next weekend. Awaiting the arrival of the chassis loom, so will probably sort out and drill all holes for the remainder of the panels, and possibly start work on building up the scuttle.

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates on progress since my last post.

First was finishing off the rivets for the cable tie bases, with the compressed air rivet gun that I bought. I squirted some wax oil in a few of the holes, and as usual put a dab of silicone in each to help avoid rust and rattles in later life.

G0031555_zpsjmqlgzkl.jpg

As I'm waiting for the loom I decided to press ahead with some of the "any time" tasks, so prepared the dashboard next. Straight forward task, helped by fresh coffee and I even took over the kitchen table for an afternoon.

IMG_4199_zpslachnwpd.jpg

Everything was fairly straight forward, except the holes for the lights needed drilling out - they were 1 or 2 mm to small. Fortunately I have a good selection of drill bits so not an issue. I'm very pleased with the way it is looking. Just the hazard switch / light to fit, which will be supplied with the loom.

IMG_4211_zpsg3cb6xxp.jpg

IMG_4212_zps5bihqkil.jpg

This weekend I have moved onto preparing the Scuttle. Started with the wiper-wheel-boxes, as it should be easier to fit this before the heater. It took me a while to work out 2 important points (i) that I would either need to cut back the GRP where the heater air-channel is built into the scuttle, or more simply adjust the rubber tubes that sit over the wiper-wheel-box, and (ii) that hole through the scuttle also needs to be large enough for the the threaded sleeve / nut that screws down from the outside and clamps the wheel-box in place.  When I'd worked this out it was then fairly straight forward, just a case of making some templates up to help estimate how much to cut back.

This is the inside of the scuttle with a hole the right diameter for the wiper post only.

IMG_4237_zpswcjwuiko.jpg

Here is the hole widened out using a dremel.

IMG_4240_zpssxqizidz.jpg

Cutting about 11mm off the section of rubber tube that sits inside the scuttle. I also used a scalpel to shape the other end of the tube to fit the contour of the air channel better.

IMG_4243_zpsocqrq8le.jpg

The wiper posts fitted. The drivers side is slightly higher than the passenger side, about 2mm. I don't think this matters and will be hard to see when the last piece of trim is fitted against the screen.

IMG_4244_zpskx4klbit.jpg

Next up will be the wiper motor, bending the tubes to connect it up to the wheel-boxes, and then fitting the heater box.

Thanks Stu, it's all part of the fun. I've been running a camera for some time-lapse photos too... will post that when I've worked out how to convert them into a movie file.

I switched to using a Mac about 4 years ago. The MovieMaker application should be able to do this, but there seems to be something wrong with it, keeps on crashing on me.

• 3 weeks later...

Next task up was fixing the heater unit to the scuttle, using a diagram that Mark at Westfield sent through. 

IMG_4314_zpsvht4idmm.jpg

Drilled the holes and then bolted it up. The top lip of the heater body was slightly too high up the scuttle and I needed to add a 2mm strip of rubber where it was pushed out by the radius of the curve at the top of the scuttle. Last step was to fit the flexible tube to the windscreen vents, and the footwell vents.

IMG_4320_zpsxomyux3n.jpg

While I'm still waiting for the loom I thought I would fit the lights into the rear tub. To locate where the holes needed to be drilled I put some masking tape on the body, and then a dab of paint on the back of the lights and then pressed them into place to make a mark. This worked well enough, but I needed to use the Dremel very gently to adjust them a bit. Even though I only needed to make a few holes this generates lots of dust, so took care to use a face mask.

The build manual appears to recommend using plenty of polymer adhesive, but I found that the self tapping screws were very secure. in the end I put a few dabs of adhesive on the main lights and reflectors. I plan to put some silicone grease / dielectric grease on the terminals when I connect it up, to keep moisture and dirt out, and maintain a better connection.

IMG_4328_zpsnhsjp0gz.jpg

This weekend I have been drilling and trial-fitting most of the remaining aluminium panels, including the tunnel sides, rear bulkhead, and outside side panels. I used some engine oil as a substitute for cutting fluid, and then gave everything a good wipe down when I was finished. I've not sealed and riveted any of the panels into place just yet, I'll do this when I've fitted the loom which I am waiting for.

IMG_4351_zpssz4n4dg5.jpg

IMG_4356_zps66sauyrh.jpg

IMG_4409_zps85mro22q.jpg

Next task will be fitting the differential, and then building out the rear wishbones and axles etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been contemplating the panels, and have a couple of questions for the club.

1. Which panels are most frequently removed for maintenance purposes and would therefore benefit from screwing or rivnut fixings?
  2. Should I still put a bead of sealant or similar to prevent rattles and the road grime?

From browsing the forum and thinking a bit about future maintenance and upgrades my plan would be to use M4 or M5 rivnuts and countersunk screws for the scuttle panel, and the top of the tunnel.

Thanks for any tips.

Martin.

The only panels I fitted that can be removed are the tunel tops, fixed down with fender bolts & a bead of silicone.

0E634C59-BC0E-4324-95C6-BCAFF8BBAB3C_zps

Andy

• Like 1

Only my top tunnel is rivnuted down but I should have done the scuttle panel too to make re-wiring later easier.