Damn, damn, damn! (non Westfield content)

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Why is it a UPS that's worked fine under the bench for years only decides to blow up the day after fitting £200 worth of new batteries! Grrrr

:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :swear:  :swear:  :swear:  :swear:  :swear:

We've had the same thing happen at work. More annoying if you have to pay for the batteries yourself I imagine!

What's a UPS :oops:

NOW: Useless Power Supply!

FORMERLY: Uninterruptible Power Supply i.e. battery back up for when Mr. Mains takes a break!

Also can be interpreted as Unreliable Parcel Service

• Like 1

Why is it a UPS that's worked fine under the bench for years only decides to blow up the day after fitting £200 worth of new batteries! Grrrr

:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :swear:  :swear:  :swear:  :swear:  :swear:

Is this yours or a clients? Is it an online or bypass type? Sometimes as the batteries age and get weaker they take less charging current etc. You've now fitted a load of healthy batteries which will take a lot of charge and can stress an aged charging circuit. Back in the days of miners strike led power cuts, UPS had their place however today's supply grid seems much more reliable and the UPS becomes the more unreliable item!

I have a UPS that is going spare if your batteries will fit it

Thanks

Do you know what size?

The one that's failed is a free standing APC 2200 VA Smart UPS, whilst it would be brilliant to land on the same again, it could managage with slightly less capacity.

As long as I let the battery supplier's know pretty quickly, now my Basil Fawlty attacking it with a tree branch moment has passed and I'm thinking clearly, I could return the batteries or get them swapped for another size. (I think).

The UPS is mine. My (work) server sits on it normally.

Sadly we're talking the sort of failure that begins with a loud bang and a large quantity of smoke! At least two components on the main pcb are history, the surrounding half a dozen exhibit varying degrees of blackening, some enough to suggest that they've also failed, some may be OK. What damage they've done electrically to pic etc is unknown. They are such comparatively primitive pcb's that I'm 99% positive if you sat there, with a 'scope, you could probably go through it and repair/replace the damaged stuff.

Oh, and I thought it was an on-line, but it is quite old now, and we've used lots of these over the years at clients, so memory may be playing tricks!

Thanks

Do you know what size?

The one that's failed is a free standing APC 2200 VA Smart UPS, whilst it would be brilliant to land on the same again, it could managage with slightly less capacity.

As long as I let the battery supplier's know pretty quickly, now my Basil Fawlty attacking it with a tree branch moment has passed and I'm thinking clearly, I could return the batteries or get them swapped for another size. (I think).

It's an APC smart 1000

Just bidding on a 2.2KVa on eBay at the mo, but if that falls through I might take you up on that, thanks!

I'm trying to imagine what you are keeping alive under your bench that needs a ups, some sort of experiment, new life form, Pods, cannabis plants, Frankensteins brain?