I want an AntiSocial network

DerekJ

OK It seems like I'm turning into Victor Meldrew!

This site says that 50% of the world are using FaceBook.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33712729

but I can't be :A***:d and see no point in advertising myself to the rest of the world. Who in their right mind would be interested in me? Oh, that would be me then and maybe the wife if she's in a good mood.

Can I have a MeBook site that we can post all of our selfies and sad stories to but only the page owner is allowed to look at them?

One Sad B'stard

V. Meldew :down:

OK It seems like I'm turning into Victor Meldrew!

This site says that 50% of the world are using FaceBook.

but I can't be :A***:d and see no point in advertising myself to the rest of the world. Who in their right mind would be interested in me? Oh, that would be me then and maybe the wife if she's in a good mood.

Can I have a MeBook site that we can post all of our selfies and sad stories to but only the page owner is allowed to look at them?

One Sad B'stard

V. Meldew :down:

Its called a Mirror  :)

Its called a Mirror  :)

LOL...

A missing statistic is the demographic of those users. I'd expect it to be very heavily weighted toward younger folks.

Unsurprisingly, given my largely misanthropic leanings, I am not a FB user, although I do confess to having been persuaded to create an account in a moment of weakness. My missus uses it to see what one of her friends is up to from time to time but we never post anything ourselves - we are both utterly uninteresting and have no desire to show the world just how dull we really are.

You can have a MeBook. Just sign up to Facebook and don't invite any friends. Only you, the NSA and GCHQ will be able to see your stuff.

I find it useful after moving out of the country, I have mates I grew up with in Canada and Australia, uni mates in Myanmar, Netherlands, Poland, New Zealand, Switzerland, Bali, all over England, Scotland and Wales. Mates in Abu Dhabi and Qatar - can we pop over in the weekend? Mates in the army in any given country, it was especially useful when these army mates were in Afghan and Iraq to keep their morale up being in regular contact with the lads at home and sharing old jokes and family stories.

It's good to keep in touch, share photos and stories without ringing up a huge phone bill or waiting a week for a letter and photos to be delivered.

• Like 1

As above with friends and family abroad.     Wifey keeps in touch with her family (she's a jonny foreigner herself)  it's free.    Shame the art of letter writing has gone though.

This site says that 50% of the [online] world are using FaceBook.

Facebook said the number of people who use it monthly grew  1.49 billion, half of the estimated three billion people who use the internet worldwide.

Of those users, it said well over half, 65%, were now accessing Facebook daily.

In the US, the company said people were now spending more than one out of every five minutes on their smartphones on Facebook.

The real staggering thing is not that half the people who go online use facebook, but that 65% of that number used it daily, and the amount of time they spend on it a day.

I am pretty bad myself, its an escape for me, but also having sent my smart phone in for repair to the microphone, I am now on a basic nokia and its quite nice to be waway form it, while also amazing the strength of my habit of reaching for it,

Daniel

I was going to start up the British Apathy Society, but then I thought, why bother?  It probably wouldn't be worth joining anyway.

• Like 4

I'm an Army 'brat' of the 60s and 70s and schooled in numerous countries. The advent of social media has tranformed the way I can find and re-connect with friends from all world, not just in word but photos of their families and share, and all in an instant!

Sure, like any form of communication, there are going to be those that use it for less than desirable means but we'll never get away from that. Thank goodness for Closed Groups!

Skype is another social tool that's completely changed the game. It's amazing being able to call anywhere internationally, free, with video. I remember as a kid being hugely excited about a phonecall Australia, and the time lag made it almost impossible. Now we Skype with both sets of parents weekly, work calls to the European offices, all for free.

• Like 1

I used it well to keep up when I was in India with work for 8 months, also to keep up with cousins in the USA, and my sister at Uni in the Netherlands.

Still also write the odd email, in letter form, and even put pen to paper an posted it quite a bit to my girlfreind when we where dating.

Daniel

Aye, my gran appreciates letters and the odd phonecall from abroad because she's not online. 

Mates love a good laugh over some old scanned photos on Facebook.

Parents like being able to keep up on Skype for free.

These means of communication are out there, got to make the most of as many as we can.

As above with friends and family abroad.     Wifey keeps in touch with her family (she's a jonny foreigner herself)  it's free.    Shame the art of letter writing has gone though.

Would that be Jilly foreigner then, or have I missed the point what with liberal marage lars now days :p

LOL LOL LOL,

I LOVE that one Martin!.

DerekJ