Help me find a new car

Ragged Racing

I have a 525 touring and it is a lovely car.

I also found the engine seemed a lot smoother that a 520 that I tried.

Both are diesels.

I've got an E61 530D Estate, Auto. I hate it, if you want to buy mine, drop me a line hahahahaha

Thanks for the replies, apart from Mr Mason.  :p 

It's the BMW that's caused the problem really. The trouble is the back seats wrap around as they are in line with the rear arches so it makes it more of a two seater in the back. I didn't spot this when I bought the car so you can imagine the comments I got from the wife! As far as I know the rear seats are the same in the newer BMW 3 series and possibly the 5, so I dare not buy another one. Shame though as I love the cars. Had a drive in a Audi all road quattro today, to much money but liked the car so might try and find a A4 avant? Still looking though.

Hello

I have a 2013 5 series touring and there is plenty of room in the back.

For £16k I'd be straight into a 5 series touring :)

I was going to say, seems the obvious next size up option. Soec the highest.profile tyres it comes with....

Take the kids, or even some larger children with you in the test drive?

Saves driving a 4x4 if you don't need one.

Daniel

Five series is ok for three younger kids (mine were 6,8,9 when I sold it last year) - you could get three bigger kids/adults in but it would perhaps just be for short journeys

Not looked but an f11 530d would perhaps be in budget

Like some if the comments above, my only criticism of the car was the 18/19 inch wheels that made the ride harder than required - 17inch wheels still look fine on the motor

Oh and if you do look at the 5 series - the two options which I had on mine which I really liked was the professional media and the vision pack

I've got a BMW f10 530d I love it. The 8 speed auto is fantastic I'd never go back to manual again. I've got 2 kids and a dog, we all fit!

For reference, we were 14 10 and 8 when the family car was increased in size from a Montego to an 806 and we did five hour drive to Devon twice a year three up in the back, camping, with dog or sailing with trailer. Dad's car was a 205 till he switched to a 306.

I am the eldest and now 6ft2. We still have the 806.... if now as my parents 3rd car now we have all left home or at uni.

Daniel

Lots of suggestions for BMWs but like you say, the rear seats are in line with the rear arches and with the prop shaft tunnel you're not going to get 3 across the back in comfort. 

Fiat Multipla? Vauxhall Zafira? Or sell a child to a local chimney sweep. 

His wife had a 7 seater

Car shopping can be exciting and tiring all rolled into one :-)

The BMW has been a problem since day one but 3 years ago the kids were a little smaller. Now when we are going out and they ask which car are we going in and I say mine as I don't driving the Renault they all complain. So another BMW is a no go I'm afraid as the girls are now 14,13 and 4 years old! 

I've seen a nice VW Passat estate on one of the dealers sites, so might go and have a look at that. They are supposed to be a good car, any body got one ? It's a 170bhp DRG auto diesel, nice spec and a nice colour.

Cheers all

The Passat in essence is the same as an Audi A4,  so should be the same quality, size etc.