Drive through the Dales and Into the Lake District. 08.08.15

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Afternoon All.

On Saturday 8th August I will be going from Scarborough to Thirsk. Dropping down to Nidderdale before going up through Grassington, kettle well and onto Hawes. From here I will head to the lakes before heading north up the side of lake Winderemere and back towards Thirsk via Buttertubs pass and Reeth. Would anyone like to come.

My route stops at Windermereon the map below but I intend to head for Reeth going past Tan Hill.

This is a bit about the loop in the lakes. 

"A drive that includes the most challenging mountain pass roads in the Lake District along with some remote and beautiful scenery. The drive also visits a number of historic attractions and allows a glimpse of bygone industry in the area. 42 miles."

This is one of the passes I will be driving through.

And this is the other.

IMG_1811_zpsjfwe89qx.jpg

Sounds fantastic But where moving house that day but you could drop in for a cuppa where moving to airton just outside of malham

Hi Fastphil.

Thankyou for the really kind offer.

Is this a ruse to get a lot of chaps to help unload a furniture van by any chance. :d

I was beginning to think my post was invisible.

Do you have some rough timings for places along route?

• Like 1

Hello.

I was looking to leave Scarborough at around 8.00am.

Summerbridge [ Brimham Rocks ] would be around 10.00am with Hawes somewhere around 11.00am before then going over to the Lakes.

Not factored in any cuppa tea stops as I am happy to stop anywhere anyone wants to stop as in no hurry to get back.

I don't intend on blasting along but happy to stop anywhere for pictures and enjoy the views etc.

Will be stopping somewhere for dinner and even for tea if anyone wants to stay out and play.

Hope this helps.

IMO the drive over to Ulpha from Duddon Bridge and from Cockley Beck over Wrynose will be the driving highlights.

Hardknot is very bumpy and rough to drive with some tight hairpins (did it in MX5 early July) but if you can find somewhere to stop at top brill views

I recommend Cracoe Farm Shop Cafe for brunch.

And Bluebird Cafe at Coniston Launch with a lovely view across Coniston

Chesters Cafe at Skelwith Bridge is very good.

Have a good one, and hope there's not too much tourist traffic being start of summer hols.

• Like 1

Morning all.

Just wondering why I have such little interest when other runs out get more or less immediate interest.

Is the route too long, wrong kind of roads, on a wrong day or is it just me.

Any advice gratefully received.

Well routes OK and would have joined you if able to. Weather forecast definitely impacts and for me Saturday in Lakes at this time of year can sometimes be very congested.

Certainly a long day, which may put some off.

I personally would have gone up Dunnerdale rather than Hardknot, but only because I've driven over Hardknot many times (many vehicles ranging from MX5 up to 17 seater minibuses!) and it can be horrible when busy.

Are you on route? 

or stopped in bed? ;)

• Like 1

Much as I hate to say it, but sometimes they just don't...

There could be any number of details, any one of which on another day might not matter at all. For instance, it's quite a way North, and an early ish start. So for all but those on the doorstep, it means leaving from home 7am or earlier. It's late in the (blatting)  season, people tend to leave it later before committing so that they can see what the weather will be like. It's smack in the school holidays season, so many are either away, or just returned/just about to go.

The info we give to AO's in similar situations, are the key things are to just keep plugging away with runs out; not everyone will make every run, but do enough, and sooner or later, everyone that's interested will get a chance.

And if trying to make a bigger, "event" type run, it takes time and a lot of work. It takes a lot of advance planning and more importantly plugging and pushing of the event. Getting it in to calendars early enough for people to plan around, then actually building a head of enthusiasm to get them to sign up. Even so, the first event, or even the first couple (if it becomes annual/regular) may just have modest numbers. But, if that first one goes down really well and is well employed in "marketing" the next one, numbers will grow.

Spur of the moment events rely on having a pool of local members who are available and enjoy such last minute things, and many areas don't have so many members in that boat. (Young families, younger members etc all add commitments).

But to go back to your route; it's one I'd love to have a go at, but for me, it would be a three hour drive to even get to the start! And I'm not that far away. I'm sure there are others that would fancy it that are in a similar position. (Not suggesting you should change anything, btw, just what affects people's choices).

• Like 1

Thanks Guys for the comments.

Onliestsmeg.

The drive is not till next weekend so not gone yet.

I have not driven any of the roads over in the Lakes yet but I have taken all your comments on board.

I need to do the drive on Saturday as I have a 250 mile drive to work on the Sunday afternoon as I am only home on the Saturday.

DAVE.

Great advice.

When I have posted before my drives out, some say need more notice, others say too much notice so I will just keep plugging away when I plan a drive out.

If you want a bit of inspiration about just how popular it is possible for such runs to become, have a look back at the early "Coast to Coast" events put on by Si (Houghton?) in the early to mid 2000's, they got so big they were ticket only affairs that booked out in days! (And were a similar, long route through Yorkshire and the lakes). They were big undertakings from a planning point of view though.

Do enjoy your trip, and keep plugging away this week, as the long term forecast shows up, it might, if good, encourage some last minute "mind maker uppers" to decide!

• Like 1

When I have posted before my drives out, some say need more notice, others say too much notice so I will just keep plugging away when I plan a drive out.

And that probably sums up the human condition in one sentence!  :laugh:

You have to start with lots of advance notice for the big stuff, and then keep plugging away at it as the time gets nearer, ideally ramping up the momentum and enthusiasm as the date does approach.

• Like 1