Trailer hitch lock

benedwards64

I recently purchased a Brian James Minno trailer which I will be using for sprints/trackdays etc. It will be spending several nights in various hotel carparks around the country and I'd like to make sure it is still there the following morning!

There seems to be a dazzling array of hitch locks available, but I'm struggling to work out which ones will fit while the trailer is still attached to the car. Can anyone with a bit of experience recommend something please? :)

It maybe basic, but the Brian James one fits over the hitch.

Bulldog locks always look very robust and work when you need to undo them.

I have a lock built into the hitch, prevents the release handle being lifted but it is an integral part of the hitch mechanism.  How about the visible Denver Boot fitted on a trailer wheel?

Thanks all. BJ don't seem to list much on their website. The Bulldog lock looks pretty serious, I just need to check which hitch I have to make sure it fits. Given how steal-able trailers seem to be I'll probably go for a wheel clamp as well... 

If you're planning on using a wheel lock, just make sure it covers the wheel nuts - otherwise with a four wheel trailer somebody can just remove the wheel with the lock and off they go  ;)

Some hitchlocks can be used while the trailer is being towed, maybe look out for one on those, I think the Bulldog one can be used that way.

But remember if the badlads want it they will take it no matter what you do, all you can do is slow them down a bit :(

I've used a Bulldog for years on a caravan.  Solidly made, but you can usually unbolt the hitch from the drawbar.  It will fit over a locking hitch too.  The insurance also insists on a wheelclamp too.

Whatever you go for, make sure you can't drill the lock out with a cordless drill too easily

Back the trailer up to a wall or immovable object and leave your steering lock on the car on that way the car needs to be broken into and moved as well, unfortunately the old adage of security will only stop a honest man comes into play, just check your insurance to make sure you fully comply with the policy and make it as hard as possible for it to be taken

I have a u bolt type which locks onto the hitch and a wheel lock from Mr Bond which covers the wheel nuts and is bl**** difficult to remove even when you know how too. Keeping the badlads away is always an issue and given enough time nothing much will stop them. Like the park between a wall and the car that could slow em down a tad.

Bob :d

I've used a Bulldog for years on a caravan.  Solidly made, but you can usually unbolt the hitch from the drawbar.  It will fit over a locking hitch too.  The insurance also insists on a wheelclamp too.

Whatever you go for, make sure you can't drill the lock out with a cordless drill too easily

Ha ha, that bit made me laugh.   

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes, when I've rented trailers in the past I always reverse up to a wall/bank. Typically I'm one of several car/trailer setups in the same carpark so I'd hope any 3.14 keys will go for the more expensive setups first :d

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all for your trailer then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.