Should you be able to over turn a will..?

John K

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-33684937

I'm a little uncomfortable about this.

I do know of some loathsome offspring who are going to be cut out of wills and frankly they deserve it.

This seems to set an alarming precedence...

Glad I've not got kids so I can leave my £3.50 estate to charity.

I think it is a frightening precedent and one which makes a mockery of the will-making process.

Agreed Ian. As you say John, a very uncomfortable turn of events.

If you go with a debt nobody fights over it  ;)  ;)

• Like 4

If you go with a debt nobody fights over it  ;)  ;)

A great comment from Pete, who is obviously fully paid up to the...

"Crash through the gates of Hell in a burning Westfield (that is still on finance)" school of responsible parenting...

• Like 1

Here in Scotland Scots law says children can claim up to one third of the moveable estate (between them) even if disinherited by the Will.

Only way round this is to have no cash or shares or life assurance and then have all assets in property and a Will leaving all to the wife.

Possibly spend all your cash and get more from equity release on the house and then do a George Best--spend all on women, fast cars and booze and just waste the rest.

• Like 1

Mm, interesting one isn't it. Since I don't have kids, perhaps not best placed to comment...but it seems to me that you should be able to dispose of your assets any way you damned well please. I have no intention of leaving anything to my relations - why the hell should I?  My mum used to fret about making sure she left my brother & I an inheritance - I always told her to spend it while she could enjoy it. All I asked was that she didn't leave me with the funeral bill. I never had any expectation of inheriting anything.

This specific case...5 kids and on benefits....well, we could expect someone with every intention of getting 'what's theirs', even if it isn't. Can't agree with the judge either. Capricious? How about arrogant judiciary then?  They should stick their noses into the cases where vultures circle the vulnerable to con them out of their riches.

As the saying goes  "Where there's a will...

There's usually a bunch of relatives fighting over it"

All I asked was that she didn't leave me with the funeral bill. I never had any expectation of inheriting anything.

My dear old Dad lived in a council flat, when he died I got a bill for the funeral, yep he didn't even have insurance :cry:

But I didn't expect anything so I wasn't disappointed. :laugh:

All this and yet the government advice is to make a Will?? What's the point when your dying wishes are disrespected by the Courts!! We can't say 'Oh, she's got 5 kids and is on benefits, let's just ignore her mother's wishes and give her a share!" Unless, the Courts are prepared to do that for everyone regardless of financial situation, you'll be creating an unfair and unequal system (oops, that's already here, isn't it! lol).

I'm very uncomfortable with this .. the instructions in my Will are my dying wishes and I expect the Law to honour those wishes!

Scandalous ...as said respect the persons instructions in the will, ......Basically the law is A**(similar to a donkey)

To me it is wrong. Whatever the reason for her dislike of her mothers will, they have had little contact for over 37 years after the daughter married a man her mother disapproved of, she had no right to expect inheriting anything at all.

In her married life the daughter has knocked out 5 kids and has not bought her own home and if the reports are true lives on benefits. As a father I would be disappointed if that was my daughter.

The mother had every right to leave the money she had earned and the assets she had to whom ever she wanted to. It is not up to us, or a judge to decide what should happen to the money. She was in sound mind, clearly told everyone what she was doing, vindictive or not, her choice. No doubt had she have known the debts this daughter would stoop to she would have given the money away before her death.

I am no fans of the charities but in this case the decision is wrong and does set precedents that others will look to exploit.

• Like 1

We have just paid £230 for a will to be made, which I think in itself was scandalous given the way and what was written, a 10year old could have written it! ... and now for what, may as well have spent it on a track day!

There is always some one who feels they are owed something!

This is a travesty, when you make a will in good faith and have it witnessed and agreed by a solicitor no one and I mean no should be able to change your intentions. What therefore is the point if the court or some no mark can casually come along and change it. If you don't leave a will the bl**** government get the dosh. Scandalous to say the least. Can't go into any details but this is something my recently departed Ma had to deal with and make provisions for. I have written my will and expect it to go to the people listed not some numpty who has given me grief for years then pops up out of the blue to grab a bit of cash. Makes my P*ss boil as they say.

Bob  :d

We have just paid £230 for a will to be made, which I think in itself was scandalous given the way and what was written, a 10year old could have written it! ... and now for what, may as well have spent it on a track day!

There is always some one who feels they are owed something!

Agreed with some of the things I've seen recently. 

Currently administrating my late Fathers Estate and hope that as it was made within weeks of everything happening that it remains as written and to his desires - otherwise they aren't worth the expensive paper they are written on if they can be overturned quite so easily. LOW risk I think but who knows.