Helmet regs 2016

1959grantura

Apologies for lack of research myself but on holiday and just noticed this morning will be passing a decent helmet shop on way home , are there any blue book worms that can advise what the minimum standards I need for competing in the sprint series? Be gutted to buy a hemet now for it to be outlawed next year!!

So quick summary just purchased a westy yet to collect , many years ago used to hillclimb so no doubt will have a go next year ... Need a hemet to collect car and passing decent shop on way home later !! What standard do I need?

Thanks for help

Dave

Crash Helmet and Gloves

Competitors must wear a crash helmet to the appropriate Test Specification, (prices start from approximately £200) Your crash helmet must bear one of the following standards: (Blue Book K10.3.1)

• FIA 8860-2004,FIA 8860-2010

BS 6658 Type A/FR ( not valid after 31/12/2015)

• Snell SA2005 (not valid after 31/12/2018) , Snell SA2010, Snell SAH 2010.

• SFI Foundation 31.1 A, 31.2A.(not valid after 31/12/2018

It is believed that from 2016 the use of Head Restraints ( Hans Devices) will be mandated for all non road going cars. This means that helmets must have Hans Posts fitted.

The following are not acceptable:

• B.S. 6658 Type B (motorcycle Spec).

• Kart helmets, (they are not fire resistant).

EURO EEC Specified Helmets (typically marked E22) despite assurances you may get from motorcycle stockists are NOT acceptable for Motorsport

Always aim to buy the latest of the Snell standards as they are periodically superseded, for the same reason beware of the dealers offering a really good deal on helmets and suits as it's often because an announcement has been made that the specification is about to be superseded.

Stick to clear visors

If I was going to buy a helmet now I would definitely go for one that had Hans posts fitted.

I am sure the "Head restraint" rule will be extended to other classes in 2017 or thereabouts.

is he not better waiting for the sa2015 standard to come out in october and this would give a longer shelf life? 

Thats a very important point John ( Panda)

That's very annoying (thanks everyone for promp information ) I am guessing 2005 isn't going to become written off for a few years yet... Heading there now Will just go for a cheaper option or see if I can use to haggle

Well decided to borrow a lid until after October with the costs involved and then invest

Thanks for help everyone

• Like 1

Good to know as I am in the market too. Will hold off for now.