New MSA ROPS regulations

JamesT

The bolt on front cage is approved in the 750MC 2015 regs as long as it's made by Caged.

Surely MSA Trumps the 750mc? If it is not to msa regulations then it can't be used. I know the 750mc are msa affiliated so must conform?

And what about the thousands of striker with full cages, none of which have certificates and lots of which race....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Formal letter of complaint now sent in to MSA, including 15 pages of verbatim comments from the petition.

Ditto

Good job Barny, fingers crossed it helps our case  :yes:

• Like 1

Signed with my chairman's hat on :t-up:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Oh, I am weak!! I have capitulated!

I have renewed my licence with the organization whose name may not be spoken.

And I have arranged for my car to go and have its cage b******dised.

:down:

• Like 3

Oh, I am weak!! I have capitulated!

I have renewed my licence with the organization whose name may not be spoken.

And I have arranged for my car to go and have its cage b******dised.

:down:

Well done David, a difficult pill to swallow.

Theres no other way of saying it. The whole tyre and ROPS affair has been a complete fiasco !

• Like 1

Arghhhh. ...

Bitten the bullet and Playskool Roll Over Bar paid for.

Currently investigating options! Might be ready for October Anglesey at my current rate of progress with the car :)

Currently investigating options! Might be ready for October Anglesey at my current rate of progress with the car :)

:( :( :(

Get it sorted and get out to fight for Championship!

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have followed this thread for quite some time, as I bought an ex race series car around a month before the ROPs situation raised its head, and like quite a few others, was not happy about cutting a perfectly good chassis around to fit a bolt on cage.

A few emails to Nick Algar and Paul Aspden, a long chat with Mark @ Westfield on the open day plus several phone calls to the MSA technical department, came to a head 2 weeks ago at Autosports International, when I approached Mark again plus also spoke to one of the technical officers on the MSA stand...

The outcome is that the MSA have said that the cage IS OK to be used, as long as Westfield have a chat with them concerning retrospective homologation for the weld on Westfield / bolt on Caged cage.. Caterham also had the same issue, and this has now been sorted by the MSA.

The costing of getting the cages homologaited is also being waived by them, as they want the cars to be out being used.

I spoke to Mark on Friday and was told that Westfield had been contacted by the MSA, and that it was all under way...

Lets hope that this problem has now been solved, and that anyone with the same chassis as us can get out using it during 2016 on MSA sanctioned event...

Foggy....  :t-up:

• Like 2

Great news Mark , well done for the persistance with seeing it through , hopefully may help others with the same type cage as yours .

Hi all,

I have followed this thread for quite some time, as I bought an ex race series car around a month before the ROPs situation raised its head, and like quite a few others, was not happy about cutting a perfectly good chassis around to fit a bolt on cage.

A few emails to Nick Algar and Paul Aspden, a long chat with Mark @ Westfield on the open day plus several phone calls to the MSA technical department, came to a head 2 weeks ago at Autosports International, when I approached Mark again plus also spoke to one of the technical officers on the MSA stand...

The outcome is that the MSA have said that the cage IS OK to be used, as long as Westfield have a chat with them concerning retrospective homologation for the weld on Westfield / bolt on Caged cage.. Caterham also had the same issue, and this has now been sorted by the MSA.

The costing of getting the cages homologaited is also being waived by them, as they want the cars to be out being used.

I spoke to Mark on Friday and was told that Westfield had been contacted by the MSA, and that it was all under way...

Lets hope that this problem has now been solved, and that anyone with the same chassis as us can get out using it during 2016 on MSA sanctioned event...

Foggy....  :t-up:

Er, sorry Foggy, but good intentions don't always work. After getting your email I was pleased to hear that Westfield and the MSA were going to be talking directly and sorting this out, especially as I had been trying to get that to happen for a couple of months. So I left writing the letter for them thinking good now it will be done. However last week I thought I'll just check and no it hadn;t happened, both just too busy at the Autosport show. 

So, I picked it back up and wrote the letter the same day for Westfield to send to the MSA, Mark has this and I'll check that it happens and follow through. 

So please, whilst I know people are trying to be helpful, can you just let us get on with it. That was a week's delay we didn't need.

Between Mark Walker & myself we have submitted a letter to the MSA asking for these Rollbars / Cages to be confirmed as suitable.

I'll keep everyone posted as to progress.

• Like 1