Speedseries Results - Shelsley Walsh (R24)

Tigger

I have checked the calculations and Tiggs is spot on with the new Target times etc.

:t-up: :t-up: :t-up:

I am pleased to help behind the scenes :yes:

Fair enough. Well done to all who got PBs / class wins and toTigger for his mathematical geniusness

• Like 1

Many thanks to Terry and Tigger for understanding the fine details of our scoring system!

To get 100 points as well made it a Really Great Day for me!

Every time David Birch started his car(which he did about every 10 mins) he did his best to "gas me to death" but the

special "go slow" petrol additive worked a treat on the day!

Thanks again

Glutey aka Graham

• Like 2

Well done Graham - think what you might have done if not operating under such difficult conditions.  Ash can pay me later   :d  :cry:

I was previously under the impression that 1.6e only covered wet and new venue events! 

What has been un-cover by the Shelsley results should be welcomed and not summarily changed.

On the day the Westfield drivers list did include at least 4 Shelsley experienced drivers, Craig Spooner, George Newrick, Neil Mackinstrie and myself! 

The times we achieved were the best we could achieve on the day as we were all trying very hard!

What was missing on the day was one of our top guy's running in the Speed Series event!

The probability of this situation happening again is very low (David I am sure can do the maths) 

Regularly I come away from events with the "should do better" sign in my mind! 

But my day at Shelsley was real surprise and provided a real chunk of enjoyment which would not have happened in the same way had it been a normal day. 

I know for many people winning is everything but we have some really great fast drivers that are tough to beat!  That's when a dose of enjoyment comes in handy. 

I think we should consider developing this approach much further so that all the Westfield drivers on the day are competing in the Speed Series with a reasonable chance of winning their section or class and getting a good dollop of enjoyment along the way.

Happy to take on board any observations and comments on this approach

Thanks

Glutey

Aka Graham

Graham

I don't want to take away from your success on the day or your delight in winning the class as it was great to see.  It was just a shame the event finished at 7pm and there was no time for prize giving.

However I think that target times were designed to remove the issues associated with some events or classes  being poorly attended such as this compared to the scores on the day approach. 

As it was not wet in the afternoon, it was not really an event where rule 1.6e should have kicked in but it did following the rules as they stand.

I think what we have now works well, perhaps with minor refinements.  As others have said, the more aggressive target times for novices probably make the above more likely if an event is poorly attended.  Maybe this needs to be looked at.   

But the current system allows you to get satisfaction from winning on the day and target times make your scores comparable to others in the championship had they also been competing on the day.

I think what was an eye opener for me was how many Westfields there were competing but not registered in the speed series. 

David

Regardless of whether it was considered a 1.6e or not, you were fastest SS driver Graham and presumably still won your class at the event so that cant be taken away no matter what. The only issue that has arisen is the points allocation. Again, not a problem in my eyes but what caught my eye on the results page was the target time column which I noticed was different to the actual published target times hence my raising of the situation to Tigger. As it has now been explained it is all within the rules as they stand so no issue exists. Well done on your class win and basque in your glory

FWIW - MAC events never give prizes at the end. they arrive by post around October time if you opt for a trophy on the entry forms. Considering they class themselves as "the world famous" I personally think its a bit poor

John, thank you I will as you suggest "basque in my glory" and wait for the postman to come around in October as it doesnot happen often enough for my liking!

I am sure Tigger will be able to come up with a suitable annotation on the results sheet to indicate that the Target Times have been revised under Rule 1.6e etc!

What I want to reiterate is that the rule should not be changed as in the unlikely event that it should happen again sometime in the future, someone else (or even me again) could experience the pleasant surprise that happened to come my way this time!

Also I was trying to suggest that maybe this or some other variation on the theme could come up with a different set of classes (intermediate maybe) that would provide progression between Novice and Expert and also help retain some of the competitors who no longer see the Speed Series as the competition for them!

Thanks

Glutey aka Graham

The 1.6 rule is constantly evolving and IMO the SS comittee made good steps into 2015.

Unfortunately in classes where the front runners rarely get near 100 points 1.6 events can have a big impact on that classes overall championship. It is too early to fully see this year yet so time will tell for 2015. But there has already been several 1.6e events where competitors got far more points than they would normally achieve including myself.

• Like 1

And as I've posted before IMO an Intermediate step before expert would be great. (As after Novice, expert would definitely be a world too far for the Lardy One and me :d )

But all this is way O/T! It definitely looks like you had an excellent day @ Shelsey GF SO well done and wear the points with pride :)

We certainly need to ooh at way to encourage and reward all levels of driver in the `speed Series but we only have 57 drivers this year and 8 classes ply J classes so we cant split things up too much or else its going to be meaningless. would you have Intermediates in lasses C and D or E and F as well. How would you decide on "Intermediate" status.