New owner / member seeking advice again......deleted my post by mistake

DaveTheGardner

Yeh so I managed to delete my post, apologies to those who replied.......

So to summarise:

Just bought a 2009 built SEI running a 2.0 pinto on 45s. Doesn't seem as quick as my expectations

No filters on the carbs and they are quite close to the hood when closed, and therefore I think sucking in hot air......

Do I?:

Cut holes in the side and fit longer trumpets with foam filters sticking out?

Same as above but use K&Ns?

Add more ventilation holes towards the rear of the hood?

Again thanks to those replies previously, any help much appreciated

David

Bonnet hole, then fit filters of choice.

So silly to not run filters, not with the damage that even small dust particles can do to the valves seats.

There was a recent post where someone had cut a large bonnet hole, over in the tech talk forum.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/114433-recommendation-for-fitting-vent/

That's great, many thanks for coming back to me. I have already bought some foam filters which I will now as a matter of urgency stick on anyway then look at getting a whole sorted.

Thanks for the link, very useful and much appreciated

DG

I've got thin K & N filters on mine so no need for bonnet hole.  They work fine.

Trumpet length affects performance characteristics, but I cannot remember the rules of thumb. Choke sizes, jetting, ignition timing - all need to be correct for optimum performance. There's a lot of information in these forums - the search function is quirky but it may help. I'd tell you my settings if I could find the file...

Dave,  good luck with the filter fix - if it still aint quick enough give it more right foot :-) 

Trumpet length affects performance characteristics, but I cannot remember the rules of thumb. Choke sizes, jetting, ignition timing - all need to be correct for optimum performance. There's a lot of information in these forums - the search function is quirky but it may help. I'd tell you my settings if I could find the file...

From what I remember, the shorter the trumpets the less low down torque.

Apologies for the late reply, many thanks for that info. The trumpets on it at present are maybe 10mm and that's being generous. Had a proper run at the weekend and as it gets hotter, definitely doesn't run as well as cold.

The important figure is trumpet bellmouth to valve, so you may actually have an OK setup depending on how long the inlet manifold runner length is. Having a long inlet runner and short trumpet that puts the carb near the outside world does tend to give you worse problems with 'stand-off' where a mist of fuel is created outside the trumpet.

For sure, cold air in if you can arrange it.

Lets see a pic of your motor, I'm interested to see if you bought one I was looking at! Description of SEI, Pinto engined with carbs and no filters sounds a lot like a yellow one I looked at in Perth!