Building a Westfield - compared to other models

MrPid

I can't believe I'm reading things on parts availability from a company such as Westfield.

This may throw a cat amongst the pigeons but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of building any other kit cars other than westfield.

One thing that really, really surprised me when I picked up my Westfield, was the build and parts manual. You can actually by everything from them like a model car?... I expected a little more innovation and builder engineering tbh.

I started to build a Robin Hood at the age of 20. I built this on my drive, by myself and shoehorned a turbo technics 2.1 Pinto in it, all because someone told me I couldn't do it. BUT when I picked the "Kit" up from the factory, I was a little surprised as to what I got.

Granted, they built the tubular chassis, I had a few sheets of metal, a nose cone, bags of random nuts, bolts etc and four VHS tapes as the "instruction manual". These tapes were pure comedy in themselves, their lovely rottweiler walking into shot, picking up a random hammer and strolling off with it. It was like Carry On Kit Cars, but it was brilliant at the same time. But what I wasn't prepared for was a ton of original thinking and ingenuity, stripping donor cars, and cutting up wheel hubs, turning them upside down and making a sliding pillar suspension system from scratch. Learning how to make a loom, soldering, re-mapping, wiring, material work, sewing, moulding, welding and fabrication. The panels you cut out yourself with tin snips and bent into shape, drilled and then riveted in place. I think I went through at least four Sierra's! lol

I thought the Westfield system would be a similar thing, and tbh my heart sank a little when I read though it like a catalogue.

The Westfield, is leagues ahead of the Robin Hood in terms of quality and craftsmanship, but for old skool engineering the Robin Hood wins hands down.

What else have you guys built over the years?

• Like 1

I looked at the GBS zero before I ordered my Westfield. TBH I preferred the GBS retro look but I bought the Westfield for almost exactly the reason it turned you off.The manual is clear and holds my hand when I need it. I have had little trouble getting bits from WF and the support from the factory lets me sleep at night.

It takes all sorts to make a world and a car I suppose.

• Like 1

The thing with a Westfield is you can do anything you want, if you chose. So for instance, Barry Ashcroft show horned a massive V8 chevy engine in it, the manual did not cover that one at all. Others have put supercharged units in from cars and bikes.

suspension can all be altered with wide track front and rear etc. etc.

The reason most follow the manual is that if they do it will pass IVA and they can do this quickly.

I know people who have built a Locost, and whilst some sneer, the amount of engineering skill to do that well is miles away from what you need to bolt a Westfield together.

Westfield are successful for a reason, they give most people what they want.

Ah yeah I completely see your point - There were times when I abandoned my first build because I hit a sticking point and couldn't see a way around it. Because I was not sticking to the build plan there was no help, apart from the forum - which I find more help than anything because you are talking to people who have been forced to think outside the box as well! :-)

I wish I could have afforded to build a westie when I was younger but am glad I chose the Robin Hood as I learned so much doing it.

First build I started was a Pilgrim Sumo (there, I said it in public....). I was naive back then....  Anyway...it was, chassis wise, a POS. I made some adaptions to give it coilovers rather than just cut down Granada springs, put a V8 in it, tried to make a half-decent job of the whole thing. Had very little support from the 'factory'. The manual had lots of pretty pictures but little information.  Part way through that build I put it on hold for a bit and built our Westy. Back then ('91), there was nothing like this forum so I was on my own. Personally, quite enjoyed the experience of having something that went together properly. One or two issues with missing parts, chrome plating coming off wishbones, stuff like that. Overall, it was a joy to build and has been so ever since.

Next was a rebuild of a previously enjoyed Marcos Mantula Spyder. That was another fine example of why one should never assume a 'manufacturer' has the first clue about what they are doing. Front and rear suspension geometry on those cars was utterly wrong and hard to put right. I re-engineered the font suspension with new wishbones, uprights and rack, ripped out the live axle at the back and put in a cut-down Jaguar IRS. Stiffened/strengthened the chassis while I was at it. At the time I was doing that, it seemed that only one or two people in the 'community' understood what bumpsteer was and that our cars suffered it quite as badly as they did. I did an article for the newsletter about it at the time and for a while I was treated like some kind of leper for suggesting such a thing. A lot of owners weren't very hands-on or technical  guess.

Last build was a basket case pile of parts. Most of a chassis for a Stratos replica that had changed hands a few times and then had bits cut off it to try and make it into a suitable basis for an F40 replica. It came with some of the body parts, all in shocking condition. Shortly after I bought it, the company making them ceased trading. That was something of a challenge. Through lack of funds mostly, but also having to make a hell of a lot of stuff myself, it took me 6 years to finish that one.

My next build is going to be along the LoCost route. A real departure for me - previously I have tended to spend what it took, within limits, to try and make a decent job of things. This time round I simply won't have the funds to do that, so this one is going to be a different sort of challenge - make it as cheaply as I possibly can. Use as much from the donors as I can. Totally DIY chassis and bodywork (such as it is). Doing this and not ending up with something that looks like a POS will be tough for me I suspect! It's this by the way www.midlana.com

So, if you want a real challenge, try something previously enjoyed that you can't get parts for, a radical departure form the tried and tested build options as suggested, or totally DIY.

• Like 1

I looked at Westfield, but at the time they were only offering the modular build and I couldn't afford the 2 first modules they wanted me to buy. I ended up building a GBS Zero. They are very similar chassis wise but I was able to buy a starter kit and then the parts as I could afford them.

However, like Westfield, GBS have supply issues. i am not sure any of the kit manufacturers can afford to have parts departments fully stocked and as long as you accept that, or can source parts elsewhere, you will be fine. GBS have no build manual but loads of build blogs online to help. The factory were also very happy to help.

Another option is the Roadrunner SR2, it has some very good reviews.

• Like 1

All builds are what you make of it tbh, even though you get a comprehensive build manual you don't have to follow it, if you have the skills and tools and can see ways of improving Westfield parts/designs you can.

You do hear Westfields referred to as 'Lego' cars in the kit car world though as they go together so easily and well.

Quality of Westfields looks to be way better than other manufacturers though from what I've seen, bodywork and welding of chassis's for instance are easy to see.

• Like 1