Silencer - need something a bit quieter

^Qwerty^

That looks like the standard exhaust to me which is the same as I had on my crossflow. It was loud!

I had the same can on my 1900cvh when I bought it, its not large, was fairly empty sounding, and not re-packable. Tested at 109db at Snetterton.

Replaced it with a 6inch dia can from Paul Goodham (sp?) which was a significantly quieter and lasted well, if no in need of a re-pack, never had it tested, but doubt it would have done got under 95db which I was slightly hoping. Main reasons where cost, the brushed stainless finish, I also speced. the tail pipe to come without the 'sva' rolled edge.

How much quieter would a Wunoff or Simpson can be, if it was otherwise size-for-size the same?

Assuming they are both packed with the same, both stainless steel of similar gauge, that only leave the perf pipe...?

Daniel

With a Pinto the exhaust is just below your ear when driving (UK), so any of the 6" or larger diameter repackable ones will drop the noise considerably. I went this route. My old Westfield standard silencer probably had no packing in it by the time it was replaced. You may have to get someone to fabricate a link pipe if you buy an off the shelf item. Also a good idea to fit a larger rubber bobbin to support the extra weight. The extra weight can also lead to cracking of the weld between the inlet pipe and the front of the can. Had this on my car and seems to have happened to a lot of others too. The standard Westfield can will probably have some sort of reinforcing rib on this section and the new one should have something similar fitted, or you are likely to be back shortly to have it welded and modified! Wunoff see a lot of Westfields, so should do a good job for you.

At 70mph wind noise is very significant for the occupants and surprisingly loud. I wear ear plugs now. You only get one pair of ears and they are easily damaged. The damage is cumulative over your lifetime. Bikers know about this, but open top car owners less so.

Owners of cars that have to meet track noise limits often find that the induction side is the noisiest after fitting a larger silencer and have to take steps there to meet them. For the road it is less of an issue as you spend less time at full throttle.

Jen

So true about the wind noise etc Jen.

My optician, (who also does various hearing based services too,) is a friend from my Round Table days; he needed "victims" to test a new hearing analyser they'd got, so last year after my eye test he tried it on me.

To be fair I knew I'd got some high frequency loss, I'd always had exceptional hearing at the high end till the last year or so, and could tell it wasn't the same. What did surprise me, was when he looked at me and said words to the effect of "you and your damned toy car! Do you know you've got the hearing loss profile of a biker?"

Obviously, screaming intakes, straight cut gears etc, all made a bit of a difference too, but that wind noise is the sucker punch that gets you; it's a psychoacoustic thing, because of the sound it makes, we don't think of it as being as loud as it is, yet if you measured the actual pressure, at seventy plus, it's really quite high!

I've just come from years of bikes to the Westie and I always rode with ear plugs to the point that I would some times set off forgetting to put them in so I would turn around and go home to get some. Couldn't stand riding without them.

The only loud noise I do like is from turbofan/turbojet engines, that's a proper noise that is.