Oil catch can mounting - scuttle?

Mattt

just received my oil catch can from China, decent quality suprisingly!

I wanted to mount on the scuttle on Passenger side, there's a couple of bolts there already (wiper motor?) - anyone know of any ready made brackets available?

It has a single horizontal tab that needs bolting down to something.

I used to mount mine on the scuttle until the car went into Webcon for a rolling road session and they moved it as the fumes are apparently carcinogenic and can cause headaches. This is probably amplified on a RR but still made me think its better to move it.

Ideally wants to be higher than the engine,so any condensation makes it into the can rather than the cam cover.

You can always run a pipe back into your air filter to save on the fumes/smell :)

I used Westfield's coolant tank mounting brackets and just cut the lower piece that slots I to the coolant tank.

Here's what I did with mine, made a bracket from some spare 3mm aluminium and bolted it down where the ignition coil used to be.

Might not be what your wanting to do, but sometimes seeing the way other folk have gotten around problems can help you come up with your own.

IMG_20150617_162203.jpg

Ideally wants to be higher than the engine,so any condensation makes it into the can rather than the cam cover.

You can always run a pipe back into your air filter to save on the fumes/smell :)

Local company who builds race engines disagree, their take on it: The tank MUST be mounted slightly lower than its source in order for the sludge to make its way to the tank. If it is mounted higher, theres a chance the sludge will not make it to the tank. The lower the tank is mounted, the more effective the unit will be. Gravity will do the job, best location - low and cold.

Local company who builds race engines disagree, their take on it: The tank MUST be mounted slightly lower than its source in order for the sludge to make its way to the tank. If it is mounted higher, theres a chance the sludge will not make it to the tank. The lower the tank is mounted, the more effective the unit will be. Gravity will do the job, best location - low and cold.

There shouldn't be any "sludge", the oil that gets into my catch tank is primarily oil that sloshes up against the breather outlet and then gets forced out by crankcase pressure. Some slowly makes it's way back down into the sump, the rest gets pushed along until it gets to the catch tank, the gases are blow by gas and these pass straight through to the breather filter,

If my catch tank was at the level of the breather outlet and the hose went straight horizontally from there to the catch tank, i'd fill the catch tank within a few miles.

In the OEM system, the breather outlet had a oil/air separator on top of it, this removed the oil and let in drain slowly back down into the breather, it worked perfectly well, but would struggle to handle the crankcase pressures on a modified engine.

This ^^ was on a vehicle that was designed to be driven by the average Joe, used it all conditions and serviced every 12'000 miles (maybe longer). If they weren't concerned with this oil going back into the engine, then it's unlikely to be an issue on a car that probably sees 6k miles between oil changes and gets only the best engine oils going.

You'd only get "sludge" if you didn't change your oil often enough (but fully-syth oil won't sludge anyway). The oil in the catch tank is no different at all to the oil in the sump, one condensed in the catch tank, the other got mixed back into the sump oil and then after a few K miles, it's all the same.

Sure it looks bad compared to what's on the dip stick, but then so does the waste oil after an oil change.

If the vehicle was neglected (not serviced), then issues might occur, but otherwise the catch tank is merely there to stop your engine oil being blown all over the road.

The ultimate goal is to let the engine breath freely, but to keep the oil where it belongs.

The word to highlight there is RACE, we are not talking race engines that get the tank cleaned out after every race with a oil change, we are talking road cars, slight difference :)

I'll agree to disagree :-) or be more careful with my wording. For 'sludge' read 'oil', yes, their expertise is building race engines but 'race' isn't the operative word, 'expertise' is. All that said - I'm no mechanic or engine expert - I just sought some advice from the experts and thought it worthwhile passing it on. Probably best if I leave this type of question to those who know better. Apologies for oiling the water :-)