Sprint School 10th July 2015 @ Blyton

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

We are planning the afternoon and now need to know who will be attending the Sprint School as students please reply to this thread.

Timings are dependant on participants

the rough outline: was looking to run it from 12 till 1:30ish covering aspect about the cars, preparation, walking the track and mentoring from some experienced drivers,

we are  just doing the plan at the moment but I need to know who is interested and then we can plan accordingly

COST FREE OF CHARGE,

we have 5 Speed series drivers that are looking to share some of their expertise

cheers

John

Students

Matthew Donnison 

Nathan Watkins 

Bernard Holdgate

Andy Banks

Richard Hoyland +1

MVZ

sootysport

Terzo204

simon rossinini

updated the post, hope this helps if not please feel free to call me

cheers

john

Is this for me?? (seeing as it's free  :laugh: )

I'm not interested in joining the Speed Series (all those standing starts and red lines) but I'm very interested in driving better.

Haha. I know where you are coming from!

If you book the track day there's free instruction available, then if you do the school at lunch too that's your full freebie quota for the day and maximum value for money :) I believe the school is more focused around car prep and the 'admin' side of getting into sprinting, but there will be some driving related tips too.

My thoughts are the same as Martin, just curious about the Sprint school so I guess I'll have to attend.

Martin

Sprinting is not just a matter of driving better its a very intense 1 or 2 mins of on the edge total concentration putting the car exactly where you want it, late braking and calculated risk taking. You need a different approach to track day driving. I think the sprint school is really focussed on those who want to try sprinting/hillclimbing and will include car preparation, personal equipment, scrutineering, a track walk etc. There may be some Speed Series Drivers who will sit alongside you to comment on your lines but some of us are very nervous passengers!! (including me)

• Like 1

I agree with Terry that Sprinting is a more focused and different way of driving.

But if priority is given to those definitely interested in sprinting, then if space left for others I feel that it's worth them doing the sprint school. Never know, it may motivate more to have a go at sprinting. Coz it is addictive :)

I've been doing track days wrong for the last 5 years or so then :d Flat out all the time (apart from an in and an out lap)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

so can we put you down as names?

• Like 1

Yes for me provided I don't have to do standing starts and take my C20XE to the red line!!

For anyone with even a general interest the Sprint School is well worth attending just so that you get an idea of what it is about. Sprints & Hillclimbs are one of the easiest forms of Motorsport to get into and having a Westie makes it even easier as they are a great car for it.

Having read some of the comments I thought I would try and explain what I find so enjoyable about it as so many people think we are nuts spending all that money to have so little track time. Having previously raced and done loads of miles doing trackdays I really enjoy the purity of Sprinting despite what has been said about always being at 100% when racing you can still make a mistake and generally recover from it. But not Sprinting & HIllclimbing the tiniest of mistakes will give you a longer time and can therefore potentially instantly drop you a place or two behind your competitors. You have to be 100% on it right from the start and this is with cold tyres and brakes which means that on a double lapper you can brake later and go faster round the same corner the second time round, difficult to judge exactly right but a brilliant feeling when you do. The aim is the Perfect Qualifying Lap and you only have to watch Quali 3 of F1 to know how exciting that can get. So do you always get it 100% right, nope you don't but when you do the feeling is fantastic especially when you just drop the perfect time in and beat your competitors. Remembering you have normally only got 4 to 5  runs in the day to do this.

• Like 3

it can be frustrating and rewarding in equal measure!  a great summary, thanks Nick  :yes:

I would like to attend the Sprint School John.

Mike

• Like 1