New tin top

Sparkymart

Well I finally get around to ordering a new tin top last week after about 9 months of looking

I wanted something economical but with a bit of get up and go if I needed it

So I ended up going for a Mercedes A class A180 in the AMG night edition spec . I had to resist going for the larger engine lol

Done the deal with the salesman all happy and was told that the car would be ready for 1st of September.

Mercedes call me today to tell me that there was going to be a delay to the end of September as no more new orders are being taken due to a new facelift model coming out which I'll will get, so I no longer know what my new car will look like or even the spec off it so I'm a bit miffed buy it but I would certainly wait and get the new model it's just not knowing if any of the extra bits I've put on will now be standard option, as I bet I won't get any money off after I spent 3 hours haggling them down in price.

You need to make a written statement to the dealer right now that you reserve the right to reject the car when it arrives if it is not in your opinion as aesthetically pleasing as the model you ordered, has less equipment than what you ordered, has a warranty which offers less coverage, or as a model is inferior to what you ordered.  Further, you want it registered for the road as of 1st October and not late September as you will pay for nearly a month of VED that you won't get.  Finally, as you have been inconvenienced by their failure to live up to the T & C of the contract through late delivery, compensation of first service being free is only right and fair.

There may also be an impact on the insurance premium and you need to check this before signing.  If the new model costs more to insure than the existing model, demand compensation.  This may also apply to VED and servicing, especially if the old model had a Euro V engine and the new one has a Euro VI engine.

This advice is from a man who sells commercial vehicles and believe you me, commercial buyers would demand this as a starting point and go from there.  You haven't paid yet and you're still in control, but write now.

At the end of the day, hope it ends up being the perfect car for you and gives you many miles of happy trouble-free motoring. :)

Thanks for the advice scott.

Dom all they have told me is that the front end is coming into line with all the current new models across the range and slight changes to the rear light cluster, and on the inside the steering wheel is changing and the infotainment system is being updated and "some other slight changes"

I've done some looking around on tinternet and found some speculated upgrades one of which is LED head lights across the range and one of the extras I've gone for is the bi zenon head lights, so isn't that now a lower spec than LED'S?.

But my biggest problem is like Scott pointed out is inconvenience as my current car which is going in for partX runs out of MOT on the 10 Sept and I don't want to put it through another test hence on reason for buying a new car and I've been told the car has to be MOT'ed so unless they will take the car early I'm screwed and also I've got a wedding in London to go to on the 26sept.

Mercedes were running a deal on the A Class offering 3 year's free servicing on new cars but I've checked the paperwork again after Scott mentioned it and I can't find it mentioned.. Looks like I've need to take another trip to the show room. I've only put a £1k deposit down but as they have changed the deal wouldn't that be refundable if things turn bad?

The dealer compensation could partly be doing your MOT for free.

The dealer compensation could partly be doing your MOT for free.

I pretty sure it won't pass Scott and they are only giving me £500 for the car

Then I would suggest you give them the part-ex on schedule but they give you a free courtesy car for the wedding you're attending if the car is not ready.  If it is ready, demand they pay September's VED.

I would be just happy if they told the part ex as planed and as the VED is only £20(I think 102g co2)that wouldn't bother me to much

If they have an online configurator, have you tried going on and building your car again to see what the cost turns out as?  If you know what your previous spec cost before you started haggling, it's definitely worth comparing.  Xenons are fantastic and although LEDs *can* be better, just be wary that there will be different specs of LED headlamp offered by merc as well, so if you've opted for top spec on your build, make sure you're getting top spec of the new version again.  Get as much info in writing from them as you can on what's changing to help inform you now on what you're going to receive.  I work in the motor industry too so have a little experience with this stuff.

If they have an online configurator, have you tried going on and building your car again to see what the cost turns out as? If you know what your previous spec cost before you started haggling, it's definitely worth comparing. Xenons are fantastic and although LEDs *can* be better, just be wary that there will be different specs of LED headlamp offered by merc as well, so if you've opted for top spec on your build, make sure you're getting top spec of the new version again. Get as much info in writing from them as you can on what's changing to help inform you now on what you're going to receive. I work in the motor industry too so have a little experience with this stuff.

Hi Andrew I've been on the website and configured the car again although the website looks like it's changed all the info stays the same

I've got the full spec with extra packages I've ordered on the order form. I went in to the showroom the other a day to get more info and take in a letter as Scott recommended, and the salesman looked on the press releases and there was still no info on the new spec, but they did agree to take my old car early before the MOT runs out and give me a loan car

Hi Andrew I've been on the website and configured the car again although the website looks like it's changed all the info stays the same

I've got the full spec with extra packages I've ordered on the order form. I went in to the showroom the other a day to get more info and take in a letter as Scott recommended, and the salesman looked on the press releases and there was still no info on the new spec, but they did agree to take my old car early before the MOT runs out and give me a loan car

Well done Martin, glad you got the old car issue sorted and they're giving you a loan car - that's absolutely fair to both parties.  Keep a close eye on things from the dealer and in the motoring press on a regular basis, don't wait until the car actually turns up.  You're covered now at any rate - I'm a believer in full communication preventing misunderstandings.  Funny thing is that when you go a bit OTT and cover yourself with Telon, nothing goes wrong, but when you don't cover yourself, something happens.  I'm happier now that all will be well for you. :t-up:

Thank again for your advice Scott, the look on the managers face was a picture when l handed the letter to him and asked him to sign it and photocopy it so we both had a copy. I've have also been looking on the car forums looking at the updates but nothing confirmed yet

After you get your car and I really hope it works out for you, do you have any other main stealership options for servicing and aftercare?

Seeing how you are going to 'spank their batty' over this deal, is there a chance that they will try to get their own back down the line?

Some folk can be that twisted.

There is a Forum for A Class owners http://www.aclassclub.co.uk/forum/  might be useful for you.   I had a test drive in the A45, damn quick but so expensive, I'll wait till the second hand prices drop a bit.

Thank again for your advice Scott, the look on the managers face was a picture when l handed the letter to him and asked him to sign it and photocopy it so we both had a copy.

I'll bet it was! :d. Dealers really don't like switched-on customers, and it helps you in future with servicing as they'll know you're no dimwit and can't be hoodwinked so easily. :t-up: