MSA TYRE REGS to CHANGE

Terry Everall

Definition of road legal in the UK is to C&U regs, nothing to do with the EU yet! The question we should be asking the MSA is why they are implying we should use what they call "production tyres" for road going classes.

Thanks for the correction.

But they're still going to get red of F and G tyres I thought, will that effect us if MSA decide to go that way? So your question is very valid Graham.

If regs aren't Eu wide - could we be legal on some tyres in the UK but drive abroad and be non legal?

Confused of Ramsbottom :(

For rallying you generally need an Emarked tyre outside of UK. Inside the UK it's just to C&U regs. We could adopt the same principal for tyres in Sprints & Hills. If you want to see the obvious differences check out page 196 of the blue book to compare "production tyres" vs "rally tyres".

Like I said before there is nothing to say a soft un-Emarked tyre couldn't be used for sprints & hills. All it needs is the speed committee to put this forward to the MSA.

It would also mean the proposed ban on the retail of non-emarked tyres for road use, which the MSA are trying to adopt, would sort out list 1B for the future, i.e. you'd still be able to buy them because they are "for competition use". This is the get-out clause which allows the retail of soft, noisy tyres to continue within the EU and UK.

• 2 months later...

I spoke with Kumho UK Technical at the end of last week and they advised that the V70 tyres will be alive and kicking in all compounds next season.

They will be "E" marked and hence will be Road Legal, they will be classified in the 1 C List as being predominately designed for Motorsport. For this reason they will not carry the multi coloured Energy Rating Label! 

The lack of availability in the UK recently has been as a result of manufacturing issues in Korea.

I hope this info helps and I am able to sleep nights again!

BR

Gluten Free

Good info Graham but is 1C the same as MSA List 1B for road going????? and what is happening to Avon ZZR which many use

I'll be able to tell you on the 16th Sept as MSA tyre committee sits the day before to decide these things.

I spoke with Kumho UK Technical at the end of last week and they advised that the V70 tyres will be alive and kicking in all compounds next season.

They will be "E" marked and hence will be Road Legal, they will be classified in the 1 C List as being predominately designed for Motorsport. For this reason they will not carry the multi coloured Energy Rating Label! 

The lack of availability in the UK recently has been as a result of manufacturing issues in Korea.

I hope this info helps and I am able to sleep nights again!

BR

Gluten Free

Only certain compounds will be Emarked though Graham. I doubt anything in 1C (soft, noisy and sticky) will have an Emark.

The tyre companies are about to explore a loophole in the legislation to enable them to continue selling a non emarked tyre in the UK. It is likely they will be labelled "for competition use". Note: This does not mean "for competition use only" which to most people means not for road use, as has been the way most of these types of tyres have been labelled in the past. there is a subtle difference!

The MSA and whoever is on the debating committee for the tyre discussion needs to be fully aware of this because it means the outcome on tyres is pretty much already decided. All the MSA need to do is accept competitors requirement to be able to compete using a non-emarked tyre which is road legal and meets C&U regs. 

I thought tyres had to be "E" marked to be road legal? I seem to recall that is the reason why Avon produce the ACB10 tyre in 2 versions: the ACB10 tyre for Formula Ford cars, which is not road legal (and therefor is not in List 1B) and the Avon ACB10 sport, which is road legal and therefor has an "E" mark, and is therefor in List 1B.

Confused of Uttoxeter.

Stephen, I would just wait and see what happens, what is certain is that this year is the start of some changes. I would have said big, but if you think about it a bit more Avon have captured the market with their ZZR tyres so they are going to be very reluctant to lose that and will try and ensure these tyres can be used. It just makes good business sense.

I thought tyres had to be "E" marked to be road legal? I seem to recall that is the reason why Avon produce the ACB10 tyre in 2 versions: the ACB10 tyre for Formula Ford cars, which is not road legal (and therefor is not in List 1B) and the Avon ACB10 sport, which is road legal and therefor has an "E" mark, and is therefor in List 1B.

Confused of Uttoxeter.

Does it say "for racing purposes only" on the sidewall?

In any case the new regulation concerns the sale of tyres by the manufacturers, not their use. But I stand to be corrected :t-up:

For example. I could buy tyres from a non eu country but still use them legally in the UK if they were fitted to my car.

Yes, there are at least 3 sets of regulations and they're all different

Does it say "for racing purposes only" on the sidewall?

You now get a sticker saying "Not recommended for road use" (or similar) to prove they're road legal.  Still confused? So are the rest of us :d

At least it just EU regulation, not JIC Health and Safety, or was it both :oops: