MSA TYRE REGS to CHANGE

Terry Everall

The MSA appear to have made a decision to effectively ban the use of list 1B tyres from all road going classes from Jan 2017. IMHO this will ruin the meaning of class records (set on 1B tyres) and will make a nonsense of our target time system. Everyone will go slower and there are many makes of car that may not be able to compete as there is no suitable 1B tyre available

Please make your concerns known by supporting opposition to this proposal ( unless of course you agree with it)

SpeedConsultation@msauk.org

Maybe our speed series committee should object, as well, on behalf of Westfield Competitors

Terry

I recall a post on here saying that EU law will effectively ban many of the road legal super soft tyres we currently use as they fail the efficiency rating.

So is this in MSA control?  What are you proposing instead?  Will we even be able to buy the tyres in a few years?

Of course I may have completely misunderstood.

David

Yes please Terry

I have been led too believe that Avon would supply what tyres the competitors wanted if there was enough demand. I think some sports cars have factory fitted 1B tyres as standard. Maybe the EU Regs will force the change but at the moment it is the MSA proposal not the EU.

If it does go ahead any changes to our class structure and scoring system may well need to allow for any future changes to tyres. I really don't see why the MSA are being so proactive with this issue. 

I will stay on slicks!

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/111978-list-1c-tyres/

previous thread

Being controversial .... if everyone (road legal) was back on effectively 1A does it help neutralise the trend to spending more and more on high power engines.

I think lots of records are also being impacted by the removal of tyre warming.  Look at BHC times for Gurston last weekend.  Most were struggling to get 64ft times under 2.1 seconds

I don't have a strong view one way or the other but would need more information to understand the reasons for the rule changes.

Anyone close to the tyre industry have all the facts?

• Like 1

Personally I think Davids post raises a good point on power/spend/grip

I dont object to proposal.

just scrap records and start again- 100 points at all events until we have records

The tyres are cheaper as well and last forever

• Like 1

So.... does that mean MSA are allowing 1B tyres under new 1C grouping to be used on roadgoing cars for competition only? This would then result in Sprint regs having to be changed to allow 1C in roadgoing classes (for competition only), then no changes to target times etc. ????

Mr confused!! :/

My ZZRs will probably last till 2017 rate I'm using them sprinting :(

My regular road tyres are R1Rs, and expecting these to last several years.

So I could be in the position of having to change to worse tyres when competing

Another :( :(

just scrap records and start again- 100 points at all events until we have records

The tyres are cheaper as well and last forever

As much as I'd always want to go faster and faster each year, I'd be pretty much as happy going 3-4s a lap slower on other tyres, providing everyone else was in the same boat and target times were reset for every class, not only those with tyre regulation changes. So for one year everyone would get a maximum of 100 points for a win, then from the second year we're back to normal chasing target times in every class, just with road classes chasing slower times than they used to be.

Could less grippy tyres actually be a good thing to slightly level the playing field somewhat for those with less powerful engines compared to others in their class? Obviously on tracks with long straights the power will still tell, but on shorter and more twisty tracks it could come down to car setup and driver skill a little more rather than the number of horses being deployed.

Dare I say it, could 'control' tyres ever be a way to go for WSCC classes? As in basically every type of circuit racing. That would put us at a disadvantage compared to other clubs and regional championships though when it comes to their target times, depending on the make/model/compound of the control tyre; a price worth paying if we ended up with a set of tyres that last a year easily and only cost £250 a set for example?

Possibly my fifth edit of this post now... I'd argue that if people are upset about going slower in absolute terms, despite it being a level playing field in a class with new road-going tyre regs, then they should probably bolt a set of slicks on and go in to the unlimited classes. (yep, I have seriously considered it myself as I'm one of 'those' who might actually not come to terms with going so much slower than the slick shod boys)

• Like 2

I well remember sprinting on 1A tyres and spending a lot of money chasing grip by buying the current tyre (Dual compound Bridgestones, Scudo Stunners etc) of choice and paying to have most of the tread taken off..... :-(

Gary is correct everyone was chasing the best 1A tyre and that means spending cash to try them. As many newcomers will already have 1B tyres this will put them off

I enjoy pushing to the limit and even this year due to weather conditions have not really been able to do it yet. this is a backward step and me personally would not like .still enjoy the competition  but don't think most people once they have had the good  grip will like going backwards.

bit like being on a motorway  once driving at 70mph  who likes driving at 50mph [not me] boring and I would switch off and take another route.  slicks maybe

Although 1B times are faster I seem to remember there being more off's on 1A, when they let go it was very hard to get the car back. Also horrible in the wet. Places like Curborough and three Sisters were very unforgiving. It did not stop the search for more power either......

Sounds like I'm seeing things through rose tinted specs having not had the experience of competing on 1A tyres.

A move to slicks seems increasingly likely in that case :(

Looks like class H could become very popular