Alternative to booze - suggestions..?

John K

I've had to admit I have become a little too comfy with a few beers each night and when I've had 5 weeks of business trips I have just drank (and eaten) way too much.

And regardless of the internal damage I might be doing I am becoming a right porker.

Carry on like this and the Westie will become a single seater...

So, the new rule as from last Sunday is no booze on school nights and a few drinkies Friday and Saturday night.

Problem what's the alternative?

I did get quite keen on Coke Zero, but having looked at the ingredients I'd rather use it to clean my engine and frankly a few too many cans gives me the squirts (one of the sugar replacements can act as a laxative). 

Water is boring, tea is more a daytime thing and a bit of a faff.

What's a decent lo-cal alternative?

Lots of different flavours of tea and some are really nice.

I am addicted to orange squash and carbonated water. Zero calories, 20p for a litre at sainsburys and tastes great...

• Like 1

Co-op Orange lemon and pineapple squash, double concentrated, no added sugar. Reasonably tasty, very few kcals (5 per serving apparently). Not tried it, but probably quite nice with carbonated water too.

That said, anything sans alcohol quickly gets boring.....

I would say drink in moderation.  I, like you used have a beer or two almost every night after work. As you age disgracefully you tend to find off beat hobbies, distractions and likes. When I bought my Westfield I was 59 years young and the family thought I was going backwards expecting me to buy something on the lines off a comfy Jaaaaaaag, or Lexus, but oh no a totally impractical open 2 seater where you sit on the road and yer eyeballs shake around in their sockets. 

This had the magic effect of keeping me occupied in the evenings and weekends with some tinker time, interspersed with a Blat here and there, visiting family and friends and daring them for a passenger ride with a mad old codger who thinks he's in between Steve McQueen and Patrick McGoohan in skill and  style.  Usually the result is they get bored and want to go home after being tossed about in an uncomfortable and  windy bathtub after about 15mins. when I am quite happy to burn some more petrol for an hour or two.

before you know it the evening has gone and it's time to put the bathtub to sleep have a bath and go to bed.   Not much time for the Pub you see.

As it turns out the guys from work meet up at the Local watering hole every Thursday night, so without persuasion I make an exception on this day each week to subject and bore them with my motoring exploits. The young ones think I'm Barking ( when I say young, I mean those that are under 50 years old) and tell me that I should act my age and grow old gracefully, I think otherwise of course.   In all I only drink 3 or 4 pints of a local Essex brew on the Thursday get together so not what you call proper boozing, I go for quality rather than quantity.   I do occasionally  have a pint on a Saturday or Sunday as part of my weekend sojourn or when out for dinner with friend and that's about it.

I suggest to you if you like your wine or beer or shorts, in fact whatever you like the best, stick with it but drink less in quantity and focus on the quality of your favourite tipple.   The same goes for food - moderation John.

I am addicted to orange squash and carbonated water. Zero calories, 20p for a litre at sainsburys and tastes great...

Tesco Vimto substitute - called Fizzio Zero. Or slimline tonic and imagine the gin

Yuk!

ginger beer?

More Yuk!

Co-op Orange lemon and pineapple squash, double concentrated, no added sugar. Reasonably tasty, very few kcals (5 per serving apparently). Not tried it, but probably quite nice with carbonated water too.

That said, anything sans alcohol quickly gets boring.....

Horrid!

I'd rather drink water than that lot.

• Like 1

Try a Gunners. Various recipes, but one of the best is a generous splash of lime juice cordial, a few drops of angastura bitters, the more or less equal parts of ginger beer, dry ginger ale, and soda water. Some people make it similar, but miss out the dry ginger. Oh, and some ice helps!!

Herbal tea can be quite good or fizzy water, or shandy but just make it very weak and with diet lemonade