Small compressor - screwfix

Davep1

Cheap enough, but it's pretty low output, so while it could be really handy for tyres etc, I wouldn't plan on using too many different air tools with it. 

Looking to get one in my new garage loft plumbed in, what size tank etc would you recommend Dave for general use - MAYBE a small amount of spraying...

How can these things at £60 a pop be 'handy' for tyres??  I have a little chap bought for under a tenner that has an LED light and can pump up a tyre from 5lbs/sq in to 18 in under a minute.  Lives under my seat and plugs into a 12v socket - now that is handy - IMO!

The thing with compressors/air tools, is that once you start using them, especially if you have the convenience of a plumbed in air supply, they're just so handy! So I'd always just go for the biggest you can.

Personally, I'd treat a 2 hp/50 litre as the minimum; there are some quite decent real budget models around - many people swear by the Wolf models one of the budget supermarkets often has offers on.

That sort of level compressor isn't going to run a spray gun for long periods without a break, nor will it run DA sanders, die grinders or other heavy air use tools without plenty of pauses for it to catch up. But with careful choice from the more efficient tools, they usually have enough "oomph" for doing small hobby type jobs.

For typical day to day maintenance stuff, apart from tyres, you'll wonder how you ever lived without a blow gun - brilliant for clearing blockages or just drying off cleaned up parts. I've even used mine for pushing the hydraulic insert out of hydraulic tappets with air pressure, before now!

If you think you're going to be wanting to do longer periods of sanding, spraying etc or what to do a cylinder head with a die grinder, with out playing catch up all the time, then at least a 3hp with 150 or even 200 litre air receiver will be much better.

Note 3 hp from a single motor is about your limit for connection to a domestic, normal single phase mains supply*, the bigger industrial jobs need three phase. 

*And even then, they can sometimes be a pain on a 13 Amp plug when they cycle on and off, I've got mine plugged in via a 32 Amp plug, on a dedicated spur, with a matching breaker. Overkill perhaps, but I felt more comfortable with it that way! Specially as it's located away from the garage and plumbed back to the garage.

How can these things at £60 a pop be 'handy' for tyres??  I have a little chap bought for under a tenner that has an LED light and can pump up a tyre from 5lbs/sq in to 18 in under a minute.  Lives under my seat and plugs into a 12v socket - now that is handy - IMO!

I was just trying to be diplomatic Martin.  :getmecoat:

How can these things at £60 a pop be 'handy' for tyres??

I have a bike track pump.... £15!

I also have a 2hp belt driven compressor, which I mainly used for needle scaling and wet sanding boats, but I don't both running it up to do tyres unless I want to check all 12 (tow car, kit car, and trailer) and know that several are going to be low.

Daniel

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.