Grease lighting

Quinten

What are you actually replacing?  I assume you mean the wishbone bush,   yes they are imperial size but I can't remember the size 7/16" rings a bell.  

Yes you should use new nuts.

I have  some thick washers spare if you want them.

Yep mine where 7/16 75mm long with a 10mm

Spacer.

• Like 1

What are you actually replacing?  I assume you mean the wishbone bush,   yes they are imperial size but I can't remember the size 7/16" rings a bell.  

Yes you should use new nuts.

I have  some thick washers spare if you want them.

No, the bolt itself is too short to have another washer added; there is barely any thread on it left as it is. So I need to replace the bolt. I definitely don't want to turn this into a 'upgrade to a wide-track' setup ;)

Yep mine where 7/16 75mm long with a 10mm

Spacer.

Found out it is 7/16" unf

Brilliant, that's at least something I can order... what about the act of replacing it? If I pull the old bolt out, will the wishbone remain in place, or will it collapse?

Should do I would take the weight of with a jack though.

So put the car on stands, and then a jack underneath the bottom wishbone to have them roughly level?

I would just jack the car to take the weight of the wishbones.

Just found this photo on the forum, the spacer may help you, from Westfield parts.

pa300088_s.jpg

To take the wishbone bolt out, remove the wheel, 

support the chassis safely,

undo nut, tap out bolt with a drift slightly smaller than the bolt. 

Re-assemble with your new bits and smear the bolt with copper grease

Yep, it is easy, I should have written support the chassis safely then remove the wheel.

When you use the drift, leave it in the wishbone bush when the bolt pops out, this will help keep the wishbone eye aligned with the bush on the chassis,  then just tap the new bolt in and the drift will pop out. May need a bit of persuasion with a Birmingham screwdriver.

Finished off the headlight swap today

2015-05-24+15_23_05.jpg

2015-05-24+15_23_50.jpg

2015-05-24+15_24_04.jpg

Will revisit the bracket once I have ordered and taken delivery the parts from Westfield... may well take the opportunity to re-paint it at the same time :)

• Like 1