New member, New FW SE kit build

hyperfan

Hi Guys

Im Jon and I have decided to get my first kit car :-) I was looking at westfield and caterham, but westfield seems great especially with the price point, and i like the extra styling at the back on the FW.

I have not orderd yet but thought it would be good to join the club first and have a good read of the forums.

I want a complete kit to make things easier and am thinking the FW SE.

I would be interested in any advice on upgrades or extras that are worth having when I order.

Cheers

Jon

Excellent choice - and welcome!

What sort of engine do you fancy?

Hi

Well im not too sure of all the options yet, i would rather just get a complete kit from westfield I dont really want to worry about doner cars and the link, the standard engine is a ford Zetec 2 litre isnt it, this is only really going to be for road use so I thought that will be fine for my needs, well at least for now.

Yep, I believe the full kit from the factory uses a crate 2.0l blacktop zetec - plenty of power for the vast majority of people :)

:ww:

Hi Jon,

Never be afraid of asking a question that you think might be stupid. we have all been there and real stupidity is making a mistake when you could have saved time/money by just asking.

the forum is filled with friendly folk and I bet by the end of today you will have a dozen or more 'welcomes' on your post.

• Like 1

Welcome along, you have come to right place to learn

Another welcome!

Got nowt to add to your selection really, sounds fine to me! What I will say though, I built our car back in 1991. Back then the interweb was just a twinkle in the eyes of a few nerds at CERN and building a kit was a pretty solitary experience. Very, very different these days and I'll second the comment about not being afraid to ask questions - make the most of all the experience on here and enjoy the process.

Cheers

Try these links:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/103971-just-joined-and-about-to-order-a-fw-zetec-kit-any-advice-greatly-received/

And this is my build thread, same kit as you're considering:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/85430-build-update-fw-20-zetec-seiw/

Regrets, I've had a few. But then again too few to mention.

Do it. :t-up:

Always good to see a new cobbler (or saints?) on the forums!  Don't forget to put your location on Member Map so I can stalk your build progress ;)

Exactly what I did and you'll find plenty of other who have also. Upgrades are a tricky question it very much depends upon your intended use. Some things can be added later somethings it's easier to to during the build. You'll find plenty of build logs on the site plus there are plenty of build blogs out on the web. I know I looked at plenty before I started and kept my own which I found invaluable for a number of reasons. documenting the build and taking photos actually helps with the IVA, writing down your issues actually helps you to see the problem and quite often the solution, I still refer to my build blog now when think about the car and what to change.  Also get along to your local meet, talk to people and discuss what you are thinking about you'll get some good feedback.

personally I went for wide track, upgraded and lighter brakes (it was surprising how much lighter the upgraded brakes were over the standard ones), heater (it does make a difference when using late in the evening or early in the day) RAC roll bar (I would probably go for the MSA bar if I was starting now) Sport Turbo seats (really comfy - they are heavy though), Roll bars front and rear (easier to fit in the build, I thought) 

I have since added throttle bodies which make a big difference.

What ever you choose enjoy the build and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question on this forum.

personally I went for wide track, upgraded and lighter brakes (it was surprising how much lighter the upgraded brakes were over the standard ones), heater (it does make a difference when using late in the evening or early in the day) RAC roll bar (I would probably go for the MSA bar if I was starting now) Sport Turbo seats (really comfy - they are heavy though), Roll bars front and rear (easier to fit in the build, I thought) 

I have since added throttle bodies which make a big difference.

I would agree with the widetrack, not sure about the lightweight brakes or the heater (never had either).  Choose an RAC or MSA roll bar.  I have JK composite seats which are great IMO but not sure about the anti roll bars - I've always had one on the front.

Oh and  :ww:

Thanks for the responses guys, i feel at home already :-)

A few questions on upgrades mentioned.

So the wide wishbone, will give better handling as the width will be the same as the rear?

Are the upgraded and lighter brakes the westfield caliper upgrade?. Westfield sugested this as its a popular upgrade i was told.

I know nothing about roll bars, can someone explain why the upgrades are worthwhile? I ony intend to use the car on the road.

cheers

:ww: from sunny Essex.  Enjoy building your car.  

Upgrades should include the RAC or a MSA rollbar if you are 6ft. +        

You'll get some more ideas when you see some more Westfields and their owners.

I would concur on the RAC roll bar, and the heater, it surprises me how often I use it.

IF you go for a heater I don't think you need a heated screen, so I'd drop that as a) it's extra wiring & complexity when you need a new one and, b) it's got foil around the edges and wires in the glass which are not awful, but a bit unsightly if you don't need them......

I'd be tempted to go further on the brake upgrade and go AP. The upgraded are fine but if you're used to a servo they still need a shove.

If I was doing it again I'm not sure I'd bother with carpets, certainly on the rear panel and below seats anyway.

Sport turbo seats are great.

Good luck with the build. You're just round the corner from me!

Mark