Sold a car last night that has now developed a fault

TrophyJem

Personally i would have thought about getting  the fault checked out before refunding  but if you feel good about it then that's all that matters   :t-up:

The tax problem isn't your fault, let him sort it. You've been extremely generous to this point.....

• Like 1

+1 for the "you did the decent thing" camp.

I would have done the same, but thats why I never have any money...

I was a bit suprised to hear he kicked off over the tax and was about to comment negatively. But then I just thought if he is "buying a banger" perhaps the tax money is a lot to him.

Don't get me wrong, it is in no way your problem and he should take it on the chin, but might explain why he's grumbling.

And I hope you got yourself a shed load of good karma and you remember us all when the massive Euro millions roll over comes your way..!

• Like 1

And remember

Some people are never satisfied

The tax problem isn't your fault, let him sort it. You've been extremely generous to this point.....

Absolutely agree with that.

IMO, 10/10 for doing the decent thing and +100 Karma points. Top man.

Funny thing is, I'm pretty certain that if I bought a banger like this, and it developed a problem, I would NOT be bothering the person I bought it from - caveat emptor and all that.

A rather different scenario, but a few weeks back I bought a car as a donor for a new project. The advert presented the car as being a certain way. I was expecting something rather less grand than what was implied as I am cynical. Went to collect, car looked as I expected externally more or less, although rather worse in some areas. Clutch and starter on their last legs, exhaust blowing - none of which was expected from the verbage. If I had been wanting this car as a daily driver, I'd have been miffed at the misrepresentation having driven 180 miles to go get it. As it is, it matters not, but the vendor was very keen on the 'sold as seen' 'no warranty' angle so clearly knew about the issues and the potential costs to rectify. Almost certainly the true reason for the sale. I feel quite sure that if a problem had developed, I'd have got no favorable response from that one!

+1

And remember

Some people are never satisfied

+1

He should have thought about that before wanting his cake all to himself.

People like this just p*ss you off.

He;ll have you jumping through hoops next.

Let him phone the DVLA and request his own road tax back.

The new road tax system is a right faff/con ... but thats another debate on another post 

If it's the glow plug warning light, is it not just a glowplug at fault, had it myself, fit new glow plug and light went out :)

• Like 1

On most modern vehicles the glow plug light is just another Engine management Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

It needs to go on a Serial diagnostic device to establish what the ECU thinks is wrong. Then further tests can be carried out on the system/components highlighted in the DTCs

Caveat emptor but you did the honourable thing hope it doesn't bite you in the bum.

Bob :(

Funny thing is, I'm pretty certain that if I bought a banger like this, and it developed a problem, I would NOT be bothering the person I bought it from - caveat emptor and all that.

This is in many ways the biggest argument for not refunding it, as if your not careful the sharp operator get it there way both times, while the responsible man gets shafted both times.

That said, the later man most likely lives an happy life within the're means, while many other fail to do so!

Daniel

Just out of curiosity did you find or solve the fault?

Good Karma indeed.

I bought a £6000 X-Trail drove lovely... til I went to start next day. Seller was very sold as seen! Fixed it myself (tinkerer I am) for around £100 butI was very unhappy!!

For a French car for £690 I'd def had said

sold as seen..

Just out of curiosity did you find or solve the fault?

I think it's the map sensor. 

I have a second hand one on order from eBay, so fingers crossed that does the trick.