Sold a car last night that has now developed a fault

TrophyJem

Hi All,

I sold my wife's 52 plate Renault Scenic 1.9DCI last night. Private sale to a guy in the next town.

We've owned the car from new and its only ever let us down once with a faulty egr valve. 

The guy came to look at it and took it for a test drive. During the test drive the glow plug warning light came on. First time I have ever seen it come on and I said as such. He didn't seem overly bothered and stopped the engine and restarted it and the light went out.

We did the deal and he bought the car from me.

I have just had a text saying that the warning light has stayed on all day and the car has gone into limp mode. He's had a mate look at it who says that the fuel pump is on its way out. 

So I have the moral dilemma as to what to do now?

I would do what you feel is the right thing to do.

I would pay for the repair as he has paid and bought a car that was fit for purpose.

Hope that reads ok as no offence meant.

He saw a fault light come on and decided to buy anyway: if your version of events is accurate then I think your conscience is (or should be) clear?

Remember, there are some out there who might "find" a fault shortly after buying a car and try and get some cash back from the seller.

I would do what you feel is the right thing to do.

I would pay for the repair as he has paid and bought a car that was fit for purpose.

Hope that reads ok as no offence meant.

I guess this is what I'd do too. Or at least, get a quote for the replacement of the pump and if pretty expensive, offer to meet him halfway to cover the cost...

I guess this is what I'd do too. Or at least, get a quote for the replacement of the pump and if pretty expensive, offer to meet him halfway to cover the cost...

I think the pump may well cost more than I sold the car to him for as its diesel and I only sold it for £690

Plus I've already sent the form off to the DVLA

For that sort of money you have to expect problems, and in a private sale there is no re-course (unless it would have been a dangerous car you sold). You are well in your right to ignore any come-back, but sometimes that's not the best call to make.

I would suggest that the reliance of a "mate" is not a good one. If the light is on then there will be a fault code somewhere to look at which may be a sensor or something.

At that price I would be saying sorry but it was sold as seen. £695 is banger money and you take a chance. I keep reading of these cars that were all fine and after money has changed hands they develop expensive faults. In this case he could have walked away when the light flashed but chose not to.

Personally I would give the guy a refund and take the car back - then either sell it with a known fault or repair and sell again

• Like 1

Personally I would give the guy a refund and take the car back - then either sell it with a known fault or repair and sell again

Yep, this. :)

I would have a look at it myself or put it to a garage that I use and then offer to cover some of the cost of said repair.

As others have said, at that price point its tough luck for him and offering to contribute towards repair is more than fair in my opinion.

Dave

It's his problem now. If have more sympathy if the light hadn't come on during his test drive.

I've offered him a full refund and he's bringing it back tomorrow night.

Can't believe it's gone wrong  :down:

Hope it's a simple fix Jem

• Like 1

I've offered him a full refund and he's bringing it back tomorrow night.

Can't believe it's gone wrong  :down:

Best solution in my view. If you hang onto his details and then see if you can get quickly fixed, you can maybe sell back to him. but for the moment the hassle has gone away.

Best solution in my view. If you hang onto his details and then see if you can get quickly fixed, you can maybe sell back to him. but for the moment the hassle has gone away.

+1 The right thing to do.

Then get the car checked by someone you trust, if it's a cheap fix do it and re-advertise, if it's the fuel pump sell as spares or repair  :t-up: