Lifting ramps at Stoneleigh

Stuart

I have just got some blocks and low entry jack.

- Jack under the middle of the car, bang it up to the top on wide side/end.

- Slide the blocks under, and do the other side/end if you want to.

The block I have are actually the rubber fence-based from site fencing, which stack two high with easy and are hyper durable.

However you could also make some out of wood that would be half the weight and more commercially available.

Daniel

I have just got some blocks and low entry jack.

- Jack under the middle of the car, bang it up to the top on wide side/end.

- Slide the blocks under, and do the other side/end if you want to.

The block I have are actually the rubber fence-based from site fencing, which stack two high with easy and are hyper durable.

However you could also make some out of wood that would be half the weight and more commercially available.

Daniel

I was actually thinking this just a few mins ago, which lead me to wondering if one could make something similar to:

IMG_0340.JPG.cropped525x195o123%2C-20s31

Using 2 x half (2.5inch) sleepers, which usually come in at less than £20 each, with a full size sleeper at one end (maybe).

I've seen half sleepers used as ramps to get large cars/vans etc up onto trailers or tow trucks, so i'm pretty sure they'd hold.

Slightly cumbersome, but unlike the thing above you'd be able to leave them outside or up on top of a flat roof garage (as long as they're pressure treated).

Sparkymart,

I have looked at those ramps before and thought it was quite a nice idea, if your friend can make them for around half the price then I would be interested.

I will chase him up and see what his work load is like and get him to sort out a firm price and let you know 

MOTCO have you seen this one?  Advertised in this month's MX-5 owner's club mag at £1278 inc, VAT & delivery.  870 sold it says too

MOTCO have you seen this one?  Advertised in this month's MX-5 owner's club mag at £1278 inc, VAT & delivery.  870 sold it says too

Thanks, Stuart. That is nice but pretty expensive. I'd ideally like to spend somewhat less. :o

Edit: I have looked more carefully at the ones from Dash 57 and I think they are quite clever. At the price they make an attractive option. For suspension work no 'ramp' type is any good but these allow you to drop the car onto axle stands and remove the ramps for 'hanging wheels' jobs. The ones I linked to from the USA are ideal if they're laterally stable... if!

Like you I feel an itch in the credit card wallet... ??? Are you going to take the plunge?

I woke this morning with an important query regarding these items. Looking carefully at the mechanism, it is clear that there are two positions only: 'down' and 'up'. The ramps latch in the raised position; witness the gesture of removing the bottle jacks to show that they are not involved in holding the ramps at the raised position. My worry is that the amount of lift could be too much for some cars with long overhangs, and there is a possibility that ground contact could occur before full height is achieved at the raised end. 

I have asked for exact elevation distance and then I'll do a bit of geometry...

*reaches for protractor...*

How about this one ...

CLICKY

OR THIS...

CLICKY

Or you could adapt one of these...

CLICKY

I have had the lift amount confirmed and calculated the relevant angles based on wheelbases, and of my family garage only my son's Z4M Coupé on its modified suspension would come anywhere near close to fouling the ground with the unlifted end. Even that is very marginal and only if the rear end is lifted. My Z3 is fine as is my X-Type Estate.  For reference the angle is 9 degrees at most with the shortest wheelbase (2445mm).

How about this one ...

CLICKY

OR

That's a vehicle display ramp, used by car dealerships. They cost A LOT of money, though i've heard of them selling second hand sub £500.

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered the Dash ones.  They are currently £225 unpainted or £275 painted but they say this price has to go up soon.  You can collect from Doncaster or Birmingham or have them delivered for £32. 

So at last I should no longer have to squeeze myself under cars raised with a jack onto axle stands :).  Thanks for all the comments guys - will let you know what I think when I have them.

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered the Dash ones.  They are currently £225 unpainted or £275 painted but they say this price has to go up soon.  You can collect from Doncaster or Birmingham or have them delivered for £32. 

So at last I should no longer have to squeeze myself under cars raised with a jack onto axle stands :).  Thanks for all the comments guys - will let you know what I think when I have them.

I am still pondering... A probable purchase but busy with other matters for a day or two. 

Collected this afternoon and already had the back of the Westy up on them.  I'm delighted with 'em.  The guys have a decent workshop about 4 miles from Hopwood Services on the M42 and are working on other things too like having a load sensor on the jack so you can corner weight.  The slidey things that the set up guys use to set caster to fit on top of the ramps too.  They even have a plasma cad-cam unit and can cut dashboards out with it.  Proper welding kit and the welds on the ramps actually pretty good.  Darren has buit a Cobra and says they would be happy to have a go at any kitcar related fabrication.  

Nice guys and even threw in a set of short lock bars so I can lock the ramps half way up.  Brilliant.