Who's in their Westy tomorrow?

Jonk179

2015-05-03+09_25_57.jpg

Shame the start was so abysmal, but once we arrived it was dry and remained dry until we got back home.

• Like 4

I'll be there in the Westfield with Gransdon.

First time I've been  in the Westfield, Do I park it by the WF tent?

See you tomorrow (Monday).

DerekJ

Well what a day, set off at 06.45 and was debating whether to turn back at Manchester as westy was aquaplanning really badly on the motorway, I had a fair few twitchy bum moments and I mean getting proper worried. Even bikers were stopping under the motorway bridges! It persisted it down all the way until about 10 miles from show ground then abated. Dryer off after a walk round, met quite a few WSCC members and it was nice to put faces to names. Left for home at 15.00 no doors or roof and stayed dry all the way home. Car in garage seats and carpets removed as still soaking and just about to remove cracked alternator heat shield to weld tomorrow. All in all a brill day and a pleasure to meet you all, can't wait for the next meet up.

I should be going tomorrow, had a busy weekend over in Nottingham, saw some cars obv headed to/from Stoneleigh on my way home though!

Hopefully be taking the back roads and coming in via Bromsgrove -> Redditch -> Warwick (thus avoiding the M40/M42).

And HOPEFULLY I won't arrive to find everything being packed up!!!!

Well that was indeed a damp drive!

No aquaplaning for me, although I don't envy thems who braved the M66, and I did get water over the windscreen twice on the drive across to Cannock. Met up with the convey at HitonPark as the final and seventh car.

Dried well as said, and had a good day, picking up a few bits including a silencer for the digger and an all in one water proof in the hope that I wont need it this time next year.

Daniel

Great drive for us coming from South Wales today (Monday). Started off at 08:00 through the back roads. Motorway back to get home before the rain. It was dry all day for us except for a very slight shower when we were almost home.

Car started to splutter and die on the way home with a strong petrol smell. Stopped to look under the bonnet to find a screw holding the fuel rail in place had worked loose and opened the seal on top of one of the injectors. Pumped half a tank of petrol into the engine bay so lucky it was not on the exhaust side. I managed to finger-tighten the screw and got home just before the rain set in properly.

Many thanks to all of the organisers and helpers for the day.

Cheers All

DerekJ

Well went down on the Sunday morning. Set off at 7:15 from warrington met up with the guys from lancashire at knutsford and have to say it was the worst driving experience I've ever had.

Only one with an aeroscreen in the convoy. On the M6 in heavy rain ( first time out on the motorway in rain)

Got half way there and the dash2 started playing up helmet was getting spray on the inside so was wiping that with a wet glove every 5 mins :-( had no idea of what speed I was going or what was around me) just followed Dave eastwoods rear lights.

Made it to stoneleight with everything soaked. Inside of helmet,underwear, the lot. Even thought I had full waterproofs. Had a change of clothes in the only dry bit of the car

So went straight to the toilets got changed and as soon as I came out the sun was out.

After that had a great day. Met some really nice people. Put some faces to the names. Bought some stuff I need finish bits on he car and before you know it it was time to drive home.

The drive home was fantastic. Dry all the way back. Got off at sandbach and took the A roads home. Still with the dash2 not showing any info. So made speed cameras interesting. Went round one traffic island and saw water dripping out of the bottom of the dash 2 so got back took it apart cleaned it and dried it. Found a seal missing. So will replace the seal and hope its ok :-(

Things I took from the day.

1- not going to drive in heavy rain on the motorway again ( but did buy a full dry suit from the club tent just incase)

2- wish I'd had stayed longer

3 -next year think I'll camp and help out with the club as it looks like a good way to get to know everyone and that way you stay for the weekend.

I've been there 4 years in a row now but this was the first time in the westy . Made the show completely different (in a good way )

Cheers everyone. Looking forward to next year

• Like 1

Every time I looked behind me on the motorway, all I could see through the spray coming in horizontally under my half hood, was the top part of Phil's white car and the iridium visor on his helmet, with poor Phil sliding lower in the seat to avoid the rooster tails from my R1R's.

It was an adventure I'll give you that. But then that's the whole thing with Westfields, owning and using them is an adventure, with lots of stories of daft exploits that only others that understand the particular brand of madness will "get".

The DASH2 uses a combination of rubber seals and a special grease to give it its IP rating. FWIW in the Aero days, mine had some serious deluges chucked at it, with no harmful after effects. (Had it checked/serviced when it eventually came to need a new backlight). Race Technologies service department is very good though, give them a ring.

I'd advise anyone, if you're going on your own to the show, (even if traveling in one of the convoys), and you don't know many other club members there, volunteer for a stint, or come down on the Saturday and help set up. It's a really good way to break the ice and ensure that you already have a group you know, even before the event gets under way proper. We know how intimidating some find things, especially when the show gets busy, when you don't know anyone.