Fitting on a trailer?

Mattt

I'm due to pick up my car this weekend, and a friend is able to trailer it for me - he has an Ifor Williams flatbed trailer with 8ft ramps (not a car trailer however). The bed is above the tyres not in line with it - not sure on model but think it's one like this: http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/flatbed/lt-and-lm?tab=spec 

We're not sure if it will go up the ramps however - it's a FW car, with the suspension set fairly high for road use. I'm assuming the nose should pass nicely between the ramps before the front tyres start to lift on each ramp (if you see what I mean).

The seller's driveway is on a slope which may well help as well.

Has anyone else put their car on a similar trailer?

You need to unhitch the trailer from the car and then using jockey wheel (and some wood bearers underneath if needed) to get the front end of the trailer as high as you can. Car should then go on with 8 ft ramps.

You could always take more wood packers/bearers to put under the car wheels and lift it until you have clearance 

If you go up nose first I reckon it'll be ok, the other way around and it'll likely catch the nose cone on the ground.

But the nose cone should come off with minimal tools anyway.

As above, just make sure you tie it down properly or/and drive slowly. They can slip sideways as well and that's not what you want.

Good luck

Bob ;)

Just spoke to my friend, he tried tonight with his Alfa Giulietta and said getting up the ramps was fine but coming from ramps onto the trailer touched the bottom of the chassis (and took a bung out).

The trailer is a LM166 which seems (from Google) to have a loading height of 0.64m (25 1/4"). Picture below (but no sides on his):

003-620x465.jpg

The Alfa has a wheelbase of 2.634m hereas the Westfield has one of circa 2.325m - which should make the issue slightly easier.

He (and I) are reluctant to drive three hours with the trailer if it won't fit! 

Just hire the right trailer to be sure 

It will fit, you will just have raise the front of the trailer so it's more parallel with the ramps. Just make sure you pack the back of the trailer up when loading.

A mate used to use a similar trailer for his xtr2 and it went on so should get a 'normal' Westfield on ok.

He used to use scaffold boards to make the angle shallower though.

Cheers,

Dave

I did some calcs for trailer clearances, based on Westfield wheelbase and the trailer on the flat then I need 155mm clearance on the car, if we lift the ramps by 10cm on blocks then that's 130mm clearance, or 15cm is 118mm. That is to clear the back end of the trailer.

Looks like I need another option!

Investigating hire options for just the day, or do any members here hire theirs out? Anywhere between Essex and Peterborough or close by would be ideal!

I had a similar trailer that was a converted caravan base. Never had any issues with loading the westy but the height with the deck being above the wheels was uncomfortable.