Wet hillclimbs/sprints

Rossins

Morining All,

I know that all the events will take place on bright blue sky sunny days over the summer, but if it does rain can you wear a waterproof racing suit over your racing overalls?

Cheers

Simon

Yes, you can wear waterproofs.

On the sprint school I attended two years ago, Nick Algar  explained that wearing waterproofs stops the nomex getting wet as wet nomex actually protects the wearer from fire less than dry nomex.

'Experts' correct me if anything diferent.

Interesting. I've seen people directly told by clerk of course to remove waterproofs, and that you must not wear anything over the top of your nomex! This is within circuit racing, but would assume the same rules apply...

It largely depends on the officials on the day and there is no consistency unfortunately

• Like 1

For the 2-3 minutes of exposure during a run and back you won't get too wet, unless it's bucketing down. The problem is in the queue waiting your turn.

Try an umbrella and hand it to someone just before it's your turn at the line.

The WSCC Speed Series badges came with Nomex thread and a card to prove it so, presumably, no contamination of the material is allowed. In the event of a fire, a melted waterproof would probably be frowned upon and possibly assist the toasting of the wearer.

On the other hand, wet cloth however is a good conductor of heat. Try removing the Sunday roast from the oven with damp oven gloves.

Why aren't Nomex boots compulsory?

For the 2-3 minutes of exposure during a run and back you won't get too wet, unless it's bucketing down. 

Can't say I agree with this, a damp track tends to soak me though, throwing spray from the osf wheel straight at me when its on the appropriate lock! 

I have worn waterproofs at an event without comment from the Clerk, but I understand there is some contention.

I understand that the fire service will not allow their men into a burning building if any of their kit is wet... i assume that is because either their kit doesn't work when wet, or  injury from scalding is possible.