Data Recovery

Tim Reid

2 x 2 disk Readynas here but everything backed up - the irreplaceable stuff twice. And one of those goes off site whenever I do. My Netgears have performed perfectly over a few HD failures

i have a synology at the house for music & films and all files/photos saved in dropbox 

Thank you John (Panda) for giving me a call last night and speaking again today.

Thank you to everyone who has inputted.

I'm going to try the software suggested by John then, if not successful, bite the £1,000-£2,500 bullet and send the disks off to Kroll Ontrack.

I love this club, so supportive in another hour of need and this time it's not even Westfield related!

• Like 1

Well after 4 different software recovery tools and scanning the disk for three days 24 hours per day I have given up.

I have just got home after leaving work early to do the 3 hour round trip to drop the drives off at Kroll Ontrack.

Fingers crossed they can get the data from either the working disk which was re initialised or the failed disk.

I got the following on Friday afternoon:

"I have heard back from the Clean Room Engineer this morning, unfortunately the news is not positive.  One drive we imaged 100%, the other drive was suffering from Severe Physical Media Damage (damage to the platters where the data is stored) and as a result we could not image this drive at all.

As this is a RAID 0 stripe set, having one drive missing will mean that the recovery will be extremely poor as data is striped across both drives.

The engineer is looking at what, if anything, we can get from the one remaining disk."

I have asked them to double check the RAID-0 comment because although I have failed to create adequate back-ups I'm very confidant that I had a mirrored RAID... either RAID-X (the standard created by the Netgear NAS) or RAID-1... I spent the last three years of owning the NAS telling friends and family how clever the box is to be creating a mirrored copy.

I am also watching this closely as I am about to get a NAS drive (parents have had one for ages) to get away from the slightly ad-hoc collection of desktops, laptops and usb hdd's to a more organised back up.

Daniel

Final email:

"We have now completed the diagnosis on your device, sadly, we were unable to recover any data from the drives.

As one of the drives was closed out as irrecoverable, we were unable to find any of the data structures on the device meaning there were no file records remaining. We ran a search for raw data but again nothing came back.

Sorry for the bad news in the case, please let me know what you would like us to do with your drive."

Sorry to hear that Tim,

I share your pain :down:

Yeah, it's petty annoying.

I thought I was covered by the two disk NAS. WRONG!

I hoped that throwing thousands of pounds at a data recovery company might get something back. WRONG!

I have a DVD backup of photos but the last one was made in 2007 so I have nothing of the life of my two children.

We are going to contact all our friends and family and collect what they have to piece some of it together.

What a real b*******.

Really feel for you, and anyone else caught in the same boat.

I would love to say I am in a better place, but other than not having two children to have photos of, most of my photos are on the hard disk of a single desktop computer I haven not turned on for a year, and the others are on the current desktop which has a much smaller solid-state disk. My backup portable usb drive failed a about 18months ago, and nothing from the old desktop has, as yet, made it onto the new usb drive.

Daniel

No auto backups that you didn't realise from say Dropbox or anything like that? Were they phone photos or digital cam?