CROFT EASTER MONDAY sprint

Terry Everall

Brilliant run John - I wish I could drive like that and there are even a few moments when time could be shaved off  :)

What this vid shows is that 4 gears are more than enough when you have an engine with big power and torque.  It also show that with the right driver there is little gear change time difference between an H-pattern dog box and a sequential box.  Also Barry showed us a couple of years ago that a synchro box can win the championship.

The benefit of a sequential box is the addition of flappy paddles and electronic assistance in engine management for downshifts (little benefit on up-shifts) which enables the driver to focus more on braking and the line into the corner.  The other electronic aids (e.g. traction control, launch control, etc) all work with an H-pattern box.

Would agree with all of the above. There's something extra rewarding about shifting with a stick though, especially when you add all the other elements into the mix :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Kevin - have done a few vids like that in the past, they are pretty interesting. The cars look to be relatively similar in terms of straight line pace, maybe Terry's a bit quicker at low speeds with John's having the edge on long straights (as you would expect, I guess).

Thanks Kev that makes interesting viewing
dead heat until start of Tower straight

John beat me by 1.26secs

Be interesting to see a comparison starting both cars from, say, the braking point for Sunny In as well. Split the track up into separate twisty and blast-y bits.

This is why you guys need to post your Blyton vids :d I'd upload some of my data but the logger had a paddy through Port Froid on the first lap pretty much every time :(

I think John gained a lot of time at Sunny In and out for some reason. Maybe I was not aggressive enough

I think John gained a lot of time at Sunny In and out for some reason. Maybe I was not aggressive enough

Datalogger will reveal all!

Datalogger will reveal all!

Or pull some time data from the vids ;)

John gains from Barcroft to Sunny In and then from Sunny Out to Complex, total ~0.9sec. The surprise for me though is that around Sunny Terry has the advantage but it's very close, ~0.1sec,

True, the time data can't tell you why it was won or lost though, I guess!