engine swap and dvla

dombanks

i know im supposed to tell the dvla about my engine swap by sending the V5 off with the new number. but how does it work regarding emissions etc? its only a silvertop zetec to a st170 black top so both are the same size

Only a problem if you wish to change emission bandings, if you scrap or not sell the old block you don't even have to advise of the new engine number (according to Blatman).

I would advise on the engine number, from my recent experience, if they ever screw something up (and the DVLA do that a lot), you could find the engine number being the only thing that saves you.

In my case the VIN was screwed up, they asked for photos of the engine number to confirm it was legit, if the engine number had been wrong, then i'd have been royally screwed.

And with regard to emissions, they only change it if your moving to a higher polluting engine, if you swap in something hoping to get a lower tax bracket, then you'd be disappointed.

You must tell DVSA the new engine number and cc but it makes no difference at MOT time. Daft I know but that's the rules.

I'm on a Q plate so it might be different but I changed from a 2.0 Silvertop to 2.0 Blacktop... 1 simple letter and a new V5C was sent back to me in a couple of weeks. If you ever sell the car more and more people are checking the details... many don't know what they are looking for so differences might scare them off.

Plus don't forget to tell your insurers and confirm you informed DVLA

Hi,

If you find you have any issues with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.