The Joys of Modern Engines

Nemesis

I keep thinking about changing my Tin Top, it has these little niggles and foibles that about £300 usually fixes, it's a 3.2 V6 Petrol, built sometime in 2005...... just clocked 174000 miles..... and yet it still showed a fair few people a clean pair of heals on the M11/A14/M6/M42 this evening..... 

The Silver shed as I call it is starting to look tatty and sad, but whilst that lovely bit of engineering upfront keeps doing what it did this evening I reckon I'll stay looking skint for a while yet..... (and sorry about the sonic boom at or near Stanstead...... I was having a ball).

Nem...............

2005? Just a young 'un! Although it has more miles than my 1998 BMW 323.

As for the M42, that's something I'm trying to forget this evening. Made my 3hr trip from Wakefield a near 4hr trip :(

My daily barge is 11 this year, it's got some issues, doesn't look great (covered in stone chips, thanks to Worcestershire Councils obsession with gravelling the A449 every year, instead of resurfacing it properly), but it's mechanically sound, gets me from A to B, has a huge boot and that's all I need.

It's biggest issues are its tendency to eat through tyres, due to some very expensive camber adjustment bolts that need replacing (involving new suspension arms) and the fact that if you run it for 30s to move it, it won't start again for at least 6 hours (flooding + bore wash = loss of compression).

It's still cheaper to run than having a finance deal on a small car.

I've never been one for new cars though, with the general lack of respect for other peoples property, if I was driving about in something new I think my life would be even more stressful, i'd be scared to take it shopping and undoubtedly i'd have a lot less disposable income.

At the moment I could easily afford some very fancy German metal on a finance, but "status" to me means nothing, so i'll stick with the 11yr old barge until it falls apart.

My daily car is 11 years old as well , I can't fault it , gets me around the county in comfort and up to now has been reliable. Even saw 50mpg on a trip from Berkshire to Cheshire last week, not bad for a big heavy 7 seater estate .

Gave back my expensive German PCP. deal early and haven't regretted it for a moment. I can't see me buying a new new car ever again