Webbers vs Throttle bodies

Mr Grippy

Hi all,

Need to get a rolling road session on my westy after my recent engine build, currently running on twin 45's. The car has a Dunnel ECU which currently runs ok but will pose obvious problems with ignition timing at a local tuners. I am thinking of changing the ECU to an Omex 200 ignition only and keeping the Webbers. But before I make the jump i thought i would ask any members out there your thoughts on using bike throttle bodies and Omex 600 ECU or go the whole hog and go with a complete omex system ie Omex throttle bodies and ECU.

I hear good things about bike throttle bodies as well as the cost saving vs omex, jenvy etc..... is there a significant power increase vs webbers? if not it seems a lot of bucks for a small gain.

As usual budget will probably dictate which option I go for but any advice would be gratefully received.

Current engine: 2.0 Zetec, Piper fast road cams, ported head, big valves, high comp pistons, H section rods, lightened flywheel, ARP bolts all round.

Thanks

There's not necessarily any power gain, flat out, compared to a well set up pair of Webers.

How many times are you flat out though?

What throttle bodies and fuel injection, whether Jenvey or bike style will do, once mapped, is give a vastly improved drivability everywhere in the rev range, whereas with Webers its a case of pick where you want them optomised and compromise for the rest. 

Fuel injection won't drift off set up the way Webers do over time either.

Bike throttle bodies, are a great way of going FI on a budget, there are a few companies making manifolds now, so it's not the total diy job it used to be. Some of our members have written some great articles on the conversion!

Just to add to what Dave said, have a look at Bogg Brothers who sell a manifold that will allow you to attach bike TB to a zetec using rubber tubes, or you could look at using Suzuki GSXR750 TB which for a range of model years are individual TB and can be bolted via a home made adptor plate to you existing manifold.

You will need to look at modifying the tank for a return and fitting a high pressure fuel pump and swirl pop. Have a search on here or locost builders have a great area.

Good luck

You can do it in stages too if budget, time, or difficulty are an issue. The ECU can be upgrade to one able to run fuel inkection first and just used to run the ignition with the old Weber carbs, leaving the upgrade to throttle bodies till later. 

Jen

• Like 1

I'm currently fitting bike throttle bodies to my engine if you wanted to take a look. It's a Mazda engine rather than Zetec but using a DanST manifold and GSXR bodies. Using a megasquirt ECU rather than Omex to save on costs there too.

Thanks all for your comments, it's probably a question thats been asked many times but I'm fairly new to westfields and your comments are taken on board. Think I'll wait a while and go the bike or Omex throttle body route.

Cheers

I did exactly that last year along with few other bits and pieces ....well complete upgrade on the engine. Stage 3 head polished and ported, cams, bottom end balanced, flywheel lightened, pistons matched and GSXR 750 TB's and the Omex 600ECU result is fantastic...so much better to drive over the Webber 45's that were on it before. As said overall drivability is what make the difference. .... Scottish Kit car centre did the work so can't take the credit for it .

Sounds great...........I think my mind is made up, only problem is I don't think i can wait for next winter.

Really don't think you'll regret it, the improvement in general driveability on well mapped injection over well set up carbs is remarkable. It'll feel like a different car.