Oil pressure.

Monitorlizard

Having recently replaced my Pinto engined SEW,with a 1.8 Zetec SEiW & done an oil & filter change,I am a little concerned that the oil pressure may be too high.On tick over it sits steady at 3 bar,but under load,anything from 45 mph & upwards it is a constant 41/2 bar.What concerns me is that the gauge only goes up to 5 bar,so it`s pretty much near the end of the scale.Any Zetec 1.8 owners,please feel free to let me know what your vehicles run at.Many thanks.

BJK

AdamR,

thanks,thats reassuring.Any 1.8 Zetec owners shed any more light on the subject?

BJK

Sounds good to me too.    If you are still not sure then take a 1/2 drive to get the engine oil up to temperature, it should be a bit lower on idle and over 4.5bar on high revs.   As long as you can see a change in pressure over the rev. range all should good.

Mine isn't a zetec it's a cvh but runs exactly the same as yours and has done since I fitted a high pressure pump to it. You've probs got a high pressure pump fitted as mine ran considerably lower with the standard pump.

Mine does drop to approx 1.5 bar in the height of summer when the engines hot, personally I wouldn't worry, be far worse at the other end of the scale.

Where did your zetec come from?

Tricky,moved the Pinto engined car on,then bought the Zetec Westy from Andrew,at Toybox cars.

BJK

Tricky,moved the Pinto engined car on,then bought the Zetec Westy from Andrew,at Toybox cars.

BJK

OK so could have an higher pressure oil pump fitted, mines just the same, I've had 2 engines and I've had to replace the oil pumps on both and they showed the same, it's probs a good thing to have in my opinion, just get out there and enjoy it.

SootySport,

it performs exactly as you describe it,so thanks for that.What was bothering me was the needle on the gauge not far from being maxed out.

Tricky,

appreciate your input,looking forward to my next outing.

BJK

Trouble with the gauges, is they're just not accurate at all. You only need a SLIGHT resistance to ground (at the sensor or gauge) and it'll be all over the shop and lets not forget the supply/battery voltage can also rise/fall depending on load.

Ok so i'm running an old crossflow, but I recently had to do some tinkering to get the resistance from the engine block to ground down from 1.2ohms to 0.3ohms and my battery voltage is 13.8 at idle, 14.4 at full chat.

If you want to know what the oil pressure really is, you'll have to connect a calibrated oil pressure device.

Lyonspride,

appreciate the info,perhaps if the gauge had a greater range,I would not be so concerned.Seemed that the pointer was heading off the scale.Not too bothered now,after the feedback.

BJK