Toyo r888 for road use

Stevec33

I have some r888's on my car which ive recent brought, i was wondering if anybody else running them finds them a bit tricky in this kind of weather? I went out for a blast this morning and just felt like they never really get enough temp in them to work properly even when tyring my hardest to get them warm, tbh the car feels all over the place and very unpredictable. Im considering if normal road tyres may be more suitable as they have a much larger temperature operating range

If the car feels all over the place,  perhaps the geo needs looking at? 

The roads are still quite greasy this time of the year

On our first blat of the year in Essex the local police were out and about warning bikers to be careful as still lots of salt about.

Could be the geo but it has been properly set up by procomp since it was built in 2006, so that should be ok. It just feels like the tyres arent getting up enough temperature to be working, im sure on a warm day on a racetrack they'd be great but on the road so far im not convinced

Too many unknowns...

The roads are bad in many places.

Yes, I've always found R888's a bit of a pain in certain road conditions, I find R1R's a massively better road compromise.

tyre pressures, generally, in a Westfield, R888's need to be around 18 psi give or take a few pounds for personal taste.

Geo, unless you know it's spot on, it will be playing a major part in what you feel and how it drives.

Personally, I'd start with a visual check yourself, looking for wear/damage anything seized and not moving properly. Then, if all OK Id get the geometry professionally set up, I'm guessing you're in Northampton Motorsport's rough catchment area ;) it can make an absolute world of difference, and you'll know exactly where the car is up to when deciding what, if anything, else you want to do.

Ah, crossed posts with you.

Bear in mind there is no single "golden set up" for a Westfield when it comes to suspension. A bit like a race car, they can be set up to give the characteristics the driver wants, some like a loose back end or a quite drifty neutral car, others like something with more bite and grip. 

For instance, when doing mine, Frase at BLiNK will take one look at the settings I suggest, and cause he's known me and what I like for a long time, will instantly suggest a little more camber all round, as I prefer something a bit grippier, and less tail happy.

888's are ok for summer road use yes.   As you have found out, not so good in winter or when cold, they also don't like heavy rain. If you are going to be an all year round driver then 2 sets of wheels are needed.

I when out yesterday to blow away the cobwebs and the roads are still quite greasy, we haven't had any decent rain to wash away all the crap yet.

In my experience R888s are brilliant on warm dry roads - on cold damp roads they are a bit slithery.  I think the tyre temperature is the key factor.

Another key thing to check is the tyre pressures if your new to westfields. They need 16 to 20 psi, nothing like the 44 my tin top needs.

888s are good on dry warm roads and great on track. Frightened me silly if damp as a little bit of enthusiastic throttle will lose traction! I have a set of yokohama on just now. Much better in the damp and good on a wet track. Not as good as 888s on a dry track but good enough for my skill level!

I ran R888s on my 306 Rallye on the road with no big problems

Can't imagine being out in the rain much in a Westfield, not a lot of enjoyment to be had

Can't imagine being out in the rain much in a Westfield, not a lot of enjoyment to be had

Depends on your definition of enjoyment :d

I find them fine in the wet and cold, you just have to remember they won't yield a much grip as when its warm and dry. Standing water is an issue, mind...

There are certainly more suitable tyres though if the car spends all its life on the road.

The car is just a toy for dry days really i dont use it in the wet at all, but obviously not all dry days are really warm with ideal road conditions. The car just felt today for the duration of the time i was deiving it like the first lap you go out on a trackday with r888's before they warm up and start to work if you get what i mean?

My post was basically just to ask if they are not really suitable as a road tyre, as with a light car they take a lot to get hear into them and just dont really work well when cold. I guess time will tell when the weather gets a bit warmer. Im a bit loathed to spend the cash on a spare set of wheels and a more conventional road tyres