Oldie but Newbie

David Oxfordshire

Hello! first post on here so please be gentle :)

I built my first Westie in 1990, a live axle SE with a Toyota 4AGE engine, and right now I'm just about to start my second after doing the whole family thing.

Anyway, just about to order another Westie this week to scratch a long overdue 20 yr itch.

Sorry in advance for all the daft questions!

David

• Like 1

Welcome, that must have been amongst the earliest Toyota engined cars. What are you going for this time around?

Hi & welcome, not dissimilar to myself.

Built one back in 2004 with a 4age in it, now just coming to the end of a s2000 build.

What are you putting in the new one?

Andy

Welcome to the club David.

Please feel free to come and join us at your local meet, details in my signature below.

Hopefully you can make our next meet, a week Wednesday

Thanks for the warm welcome!

This time around I'm going for a 2.0 Ecoboost motor, type 9 gearbox....In orange (the kids decided on the colour :d).

Not going to track it, just for pottering around.

Thanks Gary, I'll definitely pop over one evening to meet you guys...work and pink credit permitting. Not going to be a fast build this one, Im doing it more for something to do with myself in the evenings, but would like to get it ready by the end of the year.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

This time around I'm going for a 2.0 Ecoboost motor, type 9 gearbox....In orange (the kids decided on the colour :d).

Not going to track it, just for pottering around.

Yeh!     I've heard that one before.

Ask 'Pete g'  about a new1.6 Ecoboost, not expensive and he knows a supplier.

Not sure on where to get the engine from yet, quite a few on ebay and Puma-speed have some cracking deals at the mo for the 1.6. I think I may swap to the 1.6 now, much lighter engine, with silly numbers possible with a turbo upgrade :d

Also had a look at a chassis or two at the factory today (also placed my order) and I reckon the steering column may be an issue with the turbo on the 2.0

Main issue still remains the cost of the ECU and custom loom, which looks like it will cost more than the engine lol.

Ford motorsport do a conversion kit for the 2.0 just for such an application, hence my initial interest in it.

Edited by David_Thame

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

Right just joined the WSCC crew to ask lots of dumb questions.

Just got my kit and panelling is done, as well as fuel lines and brake pipes :t-up:

Quick question. I don't have the aluminium spacer as shown in the "manual" on the upper steering column bottom fixing....is this needed?

Secondly. I'm dropping in a T9 gearbox, but do I need an adaptor plate? as allegedly the chassis is universal now.

Damn your going to get really annoyed with my daft questions :d

ooh by the way, if anyone is thinking of dropping in a 1.6 ecoboost drop me a line and I can offer some advice (still very limited).

Secondly. I'm dropping in a T9 gearbox, but do I need an adaptor plate? as allegedly the chassis is universal now.

Damn your going to get really annoyed with my daft questions :d

The type 9 does not need an adaptor plate in the chassis - I remember when I did mine there was mention somewhere of one and I even got the factory to send me a plate when I said it was missing - but when it came to fitting the box, the plate didn't fit anywhere sensible and it turned out that the box mounts to the front of the existing plate welded into the chassis. You do need to drill it though.

It did seem odd at the time!

Oh, and there's never a daft question ;)

PS - start a build thread in the tech talk section - having one helped me loads!