Cycle wing hitting bodywork on full lock

Steve M

Going wide track would also give you a much tighter turning circle.

Going wide track would also give you a much tighter turning circle.

Wide track would give me a wider turning circle surely ??

Thanks for the replies, it's apreciated, I will look into the suggestions made

Steve

Nope, wide track allows the front wheels to turn in a much tighter circle than narrow track does, as it moves the cycle wings well away from the tub. It makes the car soooo much more manoeuvrable in tight spaces. Highly recommended for road going Westies just for that alone!

Might be a silly question but have you checked to see if the rack is centred? If not, you may have more lock one way than the other. I know it could just be down to the less than precise tolerances in bodywork, cycle wing fitting etc. but it might be worth checking.

Matt

Yes, I do have slightly more lock on a right hand lock, as the cycle wing is not hitting the body on a left hand lock

I had the Geo set up at N.Motorsport back in January, I would have thought something as basic as this would have been checked out, but hey ho

I don't want to go disturbing the rack fixings etc, incase it affects the set up

I'll look into again today

Thanks

Just a case of turning it on full lock one way, then counting the turns to opposite lock, halfing it and checking the steering wheel is in the middle. It's not that uncommon for it not to have been done during setup and it sounds like it wouldn't take much with standard track to give you the problem you've got..

Hope that solves it!

Cheers,

Matt

Nope, wide track allows the front wheels to turn in a much tighter circle than narrow track does, as it moves the cycle wings well away from the tub. It makes the car soooo much more manoeuvrable in tight spaces. Highly recommended for road going Westies just for that alone!

Exactly - wot I should have fully explained above

Count how many threads there are showing on each side of the rack from the lock nut on the track rod end.

They should be about the same amount on each side.

If not then the rack is not centralised and that's how you end up with more lock on one than the other

If you can centralise the lock to be same each side you will have go check that the toe in is still correct 

• 1 year later...

Sorry to reignite this older question but does anyone have any experience of which specific collar from RS Components has been a sensible bore/width etc? Especially as Cat Motorsport site seems to no longer exist :(

I've a standard (not wide) rack supplied from WF for my MX5 SDV and was told at the time it had lock stops fitted.. but both arches foul the bodywork and start to strain the brake hoses.

Surely if it touched only on one side you might be able to centralise the rack. ( wind out one track rod the same number of turns as the other in)

For IVA the cycle wings hitting the body would be a FAIL so this would not be a sensible option for Andy.

Andy, just pull back the rack gators and measure the diameter with a vernier before ordering.