Can anyone tell me what brake callipers these are please?

Stevec33

I hadnt seen that thread but its an interesting read, thanks for that. Its surprising that even though westfield have used these callipers for 10 years ish there is only one uprated pad choice which arent very highly rated from what ive read.

Most take the simple route and upgrade callipers. Either simply to be with a better choice of pads, or to something with higher performance too.

Don't forget, a lot of Westfields really are just high days and holidays cars, used on the road only, and little more than briskly at that.

Well alas I have just stumbled on this thread being another owner with this Calliper set up at the front. Like stevec33 I knew nothing about the calliper, but now know after following that link that they are rears from disco 2 then.

Whatever happened to all Jim1234's hard work? He seemed set on creating a full FAQ regarding this Calliper and pad option.......but I can't find it.

The Mintex 1144 pad seems to be well regarded by many members but it would seem it's not an option then for this Disco Calliper.

Dave....what options would I have for calliper swap (new) so I have more pad options like the 1144 ......but to not worry about changing anything else like MC?

It would Seem Jim1234 remained a guest from 2009 and probably Couldn't create an FAQ?

I think he fell out with a few people and didn't return to the Boardroom after his first two weeks. Sadly, whatever he managed to find out went with him.

Would it be worth contacting Mintex directly and ask what compound the standard Disco 2 rear pads are? (they would almost certainly be designed for durability rather than stopping a lightweight car in an instant ??? )

http://www.brakebook.com/bb/mintex/en_DE/PKW/1820/4670/10139/applicationSearch.xhtml

They have a "Feedback" page where you can ask technical questions so could be worth a try.

I think EBC appear to be the only ones that offer anything in different compounds so again, may be worth contacting them for any suggestions http://ebcbrakes.com/products/brake-pads/

As for replacing the calipers - Wilwoods are quite popular (I have the 4 pot Midilites with the standard dual M/C) - they are available with different piston sizes so you should be able to get some that would match your existing master cylinder. Again, I'd contact Rally Design for some advice both on piston size and type (the Powerlite may be more suitable for example) and also what you'd need in terms of mounting brackets. Mintex M1144 pads are available for both types.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=562_588&products_id=8317

Cheers for the reply Colin.... I think the Willwood option might be one that I have a serious look at that. Your happy with your set up I assume? I'll have a word with Rally design

Kez - yes, more than happy with the Wilwoods. I have to admit that I started off with their "Poly" pads but they never really got warm enough so have switched to the Mintex M1144 (I also had a larger disc but reverted back to a 248mm vented "capri 2.8" dimpled and grooved from Mtec and I think the combination is about right now).

Rally Design have been extremely helpful in advising on the correct piston size and mounts etc. One thing I would suggest if you use the Wilwoods is to get any brake pipe adapters and fittings from RD as well (especially the 1/8NPT to M10 fittings ) - I got some from somewhere else and they were a tad too long into the caliper body and bottomed out - a right pain as it meant replacing them and bleeding the brakes again !

All smart and shiny (pads to be refitted - takes all of 10 seconds :))

DSCF2277s.JPG

• Like 1

I had the car mot'd today and the front callipers are providing less braking force than the rears! Perhaps these disco calipers arent up to much after all. Think the rear sierra 4x4's are providing a measurent on 150 and the fronts are 120. There is no issues with the brakes aparantley, that just seems to be how they are. Perhaps its telime to look at some shiny new four pots? Whats best?

I would follow tisme's advice and have a look over at Rally design, Wilwood Midilites or powerlites. Im just fine tunning my choice now.

Well my quest to upgrade to a Wilwood Calliper (was swaying towards the Powerlite) took a nose dive today. In speaking with Rally Design, the problem seems to be that I have Westfield Ally uprights. Therefore RD maintain that there is no bracket they do in any powerlite kit that will fit. They seem to think that the westfield upright is "the same, but different" to the Cortina Upright!

Ironically having a search on our forum last night I did bump into the issue.....

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/86279-help-before-i-put-my-car-up-for-sale/?hl=westfield%20ally%20uprights

It was a problem back in 2011 and it would seem is still a problem in 2015.

I wish id seen this earlier.

Westfield fitted the disco calipers to the XTR2 and they are just about adequate.

As far as i can remember (and i did some looking) mintex dont do these pads (or there VERY) expensive. The green stuff pads are no better than the standard pads so dont bother. Put the money towards some 4 pots.

How peculiar, I know a few people that had Willwood calipers on Westfield cast aluminium uprights, I don't particularly remember anyone saying they had trouble with the brackets, but then I can't recall just which Willwood Caliper they were using either.

Try dropping Andy, he posts under the name Greenstreak, a PM, he had Willwoods on aluminium uprights.

• Like 1